The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Our First Gallop... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/our-first-gallop-57809/)

Hello 06-21-2010 02:56 PM

Our First Gallop...

My horse is being difficult. like, no joke, she misbehaves simply to make you angry and see what you'll do. My instructor says its because she has so much pent up energy and all her outlets are negative actions that arent helping anyone, and she told me to just take the horse for a long, long gallop and just let her run, and then hopefully afterwards she'd be a bit easier to handle.

Well, this will be the first time ive galloped her, and truth be told...im kind of nervous. Its not that i think i'll fall or anything...im just concerned that she might trip and fall, or step in a groundhog hole and...break her leg or something terrible. And shes just so strong and fast and im worried it'll go to her head or something...I worry too much. I know i do. my problem is that i just think too much...about everything. Besides waiting for the fields to get cut so its easier to see where we're going, what else can i do to decrease the risk of her falling or getting hurt? My instructor said that sometimes the horse will see the hole or obstruction before you do and take measures to protect themselves, but...argh! im just getting worked up over nothing probably.

Sunny 06-21-2010 03:49 PM

Honestly, if the horse is that hyped already, I highly doubt a gallop will help, if not make things worse. But, to answer your question, walk the area in which you will be riding. Look for any hole, and find a way to mark them. If you don't see any, be sure to keep your horse on the path that you've inspected when you go riding. When you first take your horse out, slowly build up speed until you feel comfortable. Keep it at a controlled, extended canter until you feel confident enough that your horse can handle it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hello 06-21-2010 05:54 PM

Thats just what my instructor said to do. Anyways thanks for the advice. I guess we can trot around the fields once and scout for holes, then..i suppose just go for it.

ilovesonya 06-21-2010 06:03 PM

If you are nervous about galloping on her, don't do it. Your horse will pick up on it and get nervous too. She may become uncontrollable, and may buck.
Another way to get her energy out instead of galloping if you are that nervous about it, is to lunge her for half and hour before you ride, to get her tired before you ride. Go through all her paces. That should get some energy out.
Another option, if the above doesn't work, is to buy some calmer for her. It worked for my mare, Sonya. She just had to much energy when we were training her, and it wouldn't come out after lunging.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Skutterbotch 06-21-2010 06:06 PM

I gotta agree, I would lunge her and make her listen to transitions to switch from hyper crazy energy into listening and being productive. Frankly straight out galloping can turn bad if you haven't done it before especially on a wacky horse.

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-21-2010 06:42 PM

Agree with all above.

Though know--if it's about solely ENERGY, why don't you just work her for long periods of time at the gaits you are already comfortable with? It's the same as running or walking a mile. It takes the same amount of energy, in a sense, it's just the way it is distributed.

Hello 06-21-2010 06:59 PM

I kind of have tried...i trotted and cantered her for 3 hours straight once and it barely took a smidge off the energy...though possibly, do you guys think it would help if we cantered like, a couple miles? Its probably better than flat-out gallop for me and it is still a fast, energy-burning gait.