The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   my horse is lame again!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-lame-again-57810/)

elkiebean 06-21-2010 04:17 PM

my horse is lame again!!!

i have a 16hh grey irish draught/cob type mare, 11 years old. about 2 years ago she went lame, it got so bad she couldnt put her foot down and walked as if she had a broken leg. the vets never found out what it was and she came back into full work and got really good in the new yard we moved her to.

well i had a jumping lesson friday 18th and she was soo good until the end when she suddenly went lame, it wasnt to bad but in the morning she could hardly walk, its basically the same as last time :-(

im soo worried about her and dont want her to be in pain. its soo scary, has anyone else had this haooen before????

thanks for reading

justsambam08 06-21-2010 05:24 PM

She may have tweaked the the injury she sustained the first time, or it could be an even older injury that went undiagnosed. Off the top of my head, I'd say it could be an abscess, it could be a pulled or strained muscle, or she could need adjustment by a chiro.

elkiebean 06-21-2010 05:29 PM

thanks for the reply. the vet is treating it as if it is an abcess but i dont think it is. she isnt responding to pressure on her sole and nothing has come out of her foot with the poultice in the last 3 days.

the vet is coming again tomorow im just so worried about her.

Deerly 06-21-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkiebean (Post 667043)
thanks for the reply. the vet is treating it as if it is an abcess but i dont think it is. she isnt responding to pressure on her sole and nothing has come out of her foot with the poultice in the last 3 days.

the vet is coming again tomorow im just so worried about her.

UGH! Lameness is the worst :( I'm sorry to hear that!

Was the vet able to come out and drain the abscess the first time? I hope they are able to tomorrow, that should give your horse some instant relief if that is the problem.

My guy had an abscess a few weeks ago and I had an after hours emergency vet come out because I thought his hip had dislocated or something! As soon as the vet drained the abscess he was able to put pressure on the foot and got better quickly!

elkiebean 06-21-2010 06:26 PM

i know its soo annoying, they dont even know if its an abcess or not yet. she has a poultice on but nothing has come out and she isnt responsive to the pressure on the sole of her foot.

if its not then the vet said it could be quite serious, its soo scary. they never knew what it was last time, all they said was that something could be changeing, maybe its come back, i really dont know.

PaintHorseMares 06-22-2010 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkiebean (Post 666980)
well i had a jumping lesson friday 18th and she was soo good until the end when she suddenly went lame, it wasnt to bad but in the morning she could hardly walk, its basically the same as last time :-(

This sounds more like a sprain than an abcess to me.
Sprains will tend to cause more pain the 2nd and 3rd days because of swelling and you usually see gradual improvement after that.
Abcesses can often cause pain more suddenly and pesky ones can take weeks to come out, but once they do the pain relief is very quick. In my experience, the worst/most painful ones are the ones that work up the hoof and drain at the band.
Either one can cause a horse to go three legged lame.
I would continue to poultice, but would also ice/cold hose the leg and limit movement to a small paddock for a few days in case it is a sprain.
We typically avoid pain medicine because it can mask finding the source of the pain, but for 3 legged lamness we will give bute for a couple days. Since it's an anti-inflammatory, it helps a lot with any pain from swelling.
Good luck. Lameness can be so hard to diagnose and breaks your heart to see them hobbling around.

ThatNinjaHorse 06-22-2010 07:19 AM

Has the vet done an x-ray?