The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Size?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-size-57830/)

shannonthehorsefreak 06-21-2010 07:12 PM

Saddle Size?!

I recently bought a saddle. My mom bought it for me, actually. I'm currently working with a PoA mare, but the saddle is an 18 inch!!! It was very cheap and needs work. I don't know how to make it a better for her. I'm nervous that she'll buck me off because she has too much pressure on her kidneys. She also has a tendency to buck at a canter. Will a riser pad help?? Please respond! IM DESPERATE!!:-(

smrobs 06-21-2010 07:31 PM

The saddle being an 18 inch should have nothing to do with whether or not it fits her. That measurement is solely for the rider, does and 18 inch fit you? If I am not mistaken, POAs are usually pretty small compact horses, correct? Do you have a picture of the saddle on her that you could post?

Ridehorses99 06-21-2010 07:58 PM

WOW, that's a big saddle. For a POA, it will probably be too long and will hit the horse too deep in the back. I have a short-backed AQHA gelding that is only 14.3 and I cannot use a saddle that is longer than 27" (front to back) on him as it hits too deep and he will buck. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing you can do that will make it fit if the saddle is too long.

My suggestion.....fix the saddle up and sell it or trade it for something that does fit. It sounds like your mom got a good deal, so clean it, polish it, and sell it for a profit so you can buy something more appropriate for you and your pony.

Gidget 06-21-2010 08:18 PM

is there any other saddles you can get? Look at pawn shops. There are so many here and fairly cheap! I have a little saddle but it's a 15" seat and I am not sure if 18" is what you are looking for. I'd make you a deal if interested.

shannonthehorsefreak 06-22-2010 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone. My friend was given a saddle that would fit the pony for sure, but I don't know if I'll fit in it. I need to talk to her and check it out. It was used for pony rides and whatnot, so it might be a little small, but I want her to be comfy. <3