The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Biting At Sides? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/biting-sides-57842/)

GraciesMom 06-21-2010 08:27 PM

Biting At Sides?

I went to ride Gracie tonight, and she wouldn't stop biting her sides as I try to mount up into the saddle! She rode fine this morning, and yesterday. Do you think she is OK? She is in perfect health, maybe she just has a tummy ache (I hope). I am going to mount up again tomorrow morning, and shee if she does well. I am worried about her :cry:.

justsambam08 06-21-2010 08:31 PM

She could have been protesting you mounting. She could have been biting at flies. She could be having a colic episode.

Any rolling, excessive sweating, refusal to drink water or eat? Is she pooping okay?

GraciesMom 06-21-2010 08:33 PM

She has been eating/drinking fine, not sweating unless I ride her for two-three hours (yesterday), and her manure is like it should be.

There were a few flies around her, maybe that was it? I will try it early in the morning when the flies aren't out.

Vidaloco 06-21-2010 08:36 PM

The only time Vida bites at me when I'm in the saddle is when she is in some sort of discomfort. Have you changed saddle pads or saddles? Is your saddle pad bunching up under the saddle? Does your saddle fit properly?
You might also try using a mounting block when you get on. It may be causing some pain for her if you mount from the ground.

GraciesMom 06-21-2010 08:38 PM

I haven't switched anything, but I ddi notice that the pad was a bit higher up on the back than normal. I will put it a little lower tomorrow morning.

I'll also try the mounting block.

I really want to get on her, but I'm afraid she might buck or rear if she is uncomfortable.

justsambam08 06-21-2010 09:05 PM

Well, thats the best way to figure out whats wrong sometimes--trial and error.

One day I accidentally put Ice's saddle on about an inch too far back. From 3 feet away you might not notice it, but when I asked him to trot he gave me a nice buck and took off. I knew after that to check my saddle placement before I got on. :lol:

PaintHorseMares 06-21-2010 09:11 PM

Bugs would be my first guess. They're awful around here this year.

GraciesMom 06-22-2010 08:47 AM

I tried to get on again, this time she tried to bite me! It is like she has some pain in her sides.... I then tried to mount up from a mounting block, same result :-( We are going to call the previous owners soon and ask if she ever did this to them.

Is she just being stubborn because we just got her?

Alwaysbehind 06-22-2010 08:55 AM

I am not clear. Is she only biting at her side when you are trying to get on? Or does she bite at her side other times?

GraciesMom 06-22-2010 08:58 AM

Only when I try to get on.