The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore on front end?

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mls 
#1 ·
Hey
So my mare has been coming up stiff/sore on her front end lately. She was trimmed & shod over 3 weeks ago so I know it's not from that, plus she was looking a little sore before the new shoes were put on. I notice it when I bring her in from the paddock, and she feels off at a trot while we warm up, like she's "ouchy" on her front feet... but once I get her going and warmed up she starts moving out really nicely and loosens up and her gaits don't feel off after that.

I'm contemplating a vet exam but money is a little tight at the moment so I don't want to call him for nothing (since she does loosen up).

She is shod on her front feet only because she was apparently coming up really sore from being ridden on the roads last year.

I rider her 3-4 times a week, and jump regularly.

She's around 10 years old. Any ideas what I could be dealing with? Arthritis? Soft feet?Also any suggestions on what I should do from now on... liniments and such to help with warming up? Supplements?

Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
If the horse works out of it I would not guess sore feet. If anything they would get more sore.

Not really possible to guess past that so certainly can not give you advice on meds or supplements.

As much as paying the vet puts a dent in the budget it sounds like it is the right thing to do in this case.

#3 ·
Nutrition maybe? What's your horse eating? If she's getting sweet feed or lots of grain I'd check into that and do a little research. But also many horses will get, "spring founder", simply out on the pasture grasses because they are just standing there gorging themselves all day like a cow.

Nutrition is still something new to me, but it may be something worth checking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.