The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Theodore's Blue Malcom - Gir Bear (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/theodores-blue-malcom-gir-bear-5787/)

BluMagic 02-03-2008 03:07 PM

Theodore's Blue Malcom - Gir Bear

Well, sometime within the next few months I want to take Theo and Kerra to Show Low for check-ups. And for getting Theo neutered. I was wondering how you guys felt about neutering a puppy that is almost a year? (at the moment Theo is 11 months old.)

Stepher 02-03-2008 03:15 PM

Im all for neutering pets, there are wayyy to many unwanted dogs and cats out there. I work at a pet kennel, and we also take in animals for adoptions.
Just before Christmas we got a 5 year old rottie/shepard who was not neutered. Within a week of us 'owning' him, he was neutered. Unless your dog is amazing, and show quality and you have them showing and such, they should be spayed/neutered. (Dont get me started on breeders and such, it's along the same lines as backyard breedings of horses)

BluMagic 02-03-2008 04:35 PM

Okay. :-)

Ya, I understand all that breeding stuff. Theo is a result of 'accidental breeding' but I love him all the same. I want him to be fully grown and mature before we get him neutered. He is a big boy already. I just didn't want his age to cause possible problems because most dogs are spayed or neutered at a younger age.

Vidaloco 02-04-2008 07:43 AM

We have a male Scottish Terrier that I used as a breeding dog. Dont worry he was only bred to my female a few times for some very wanted puppies. Anyhoo I kept one of the males from a litter and had him neutered at the earliest possible time, I think 6 months (?). He can come in the house because he doesn't 'Hike' his leg to mark stuff. My intact male isn't allowed in the house because he marks. I think it helps in housebreaking to have them neutered as soon as possible.