The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Rumour's birth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/rumours-birth-57889/)

ilovesonya 06-22-2010 12:05 PM

Rumour's birth

My friend video-taped Rumour's birth. She was born April 25th, so I know it is a little late, but I just found out she put it on youtube.

Here it is!

lilkitty90 06-22-2010 01:06 PM

hehe grogeous!! was it sonya's first foal? because she did fabulous. a little iffy and unsure but definitely did well. and was it a day foal?? lucky you! i got to record Sparta's birth but it was by flash light so it's hard to tell whats going on. plus i was broken into 3 videos. gorgeous filly! = )

ilovesonya 06-22-2010 01:15 PM

Yup, first baby. I am so proud of her! She did awesome. Everyone at the barn thought she might reject the baby, but she is the best momma!
Ya, it was a day baby. She was born at 11. Me, my sister, and my 2 friends had slept in the barn for 3 nights waiting.
I put her outside for an hour, went out to check on her, and she was leaking milk, so I brought her back in. Half an hour later Rumour was born.

lilkitty90 06-22-2010 01:30 PM

ahh Sparta was born around 8pm and thats when it got dark at around 6-7 so flashlights were a must and all the batteries were dead from late night checks!! lol rumor is such a beautiful girl = ) you are definitely lucky to have her

MacabreMikolaj 06-22-2010 09:38 PM

Why are people so arrogant they just take it upon themselves to assume a horse is incapable of giving birth without assistance? :-|

Cute foal.

franknbeans 06-22-2010 09:58 PM

Sorry Macabre-not sure where you get arrogance out of any of this......People love their horses and are very excited about new babies. I don't get arrogance at all. Besides-these are not some wild horses on the prairie......there is emotional and financial investment involved with these horses, and-just so ya knpw sh*t happens. Best we be there to help if need be.....and sometimes it is needed. No need to be negative.
Beautiful foal-and as the proud owner of an aged Clyde X-you have many many happy years ahead! Congrats!

Deerly 06-22-2010 09:59 PM

Who said horses are incapable of giving birth without assistance? :-|

I have a weird guilt reaction when I see animals/pets giving birth because in a weird way I feel like they don't have informed consent to such a painful and crazy thing!

If people can help out to make things go smoother or safer I don't see the problem. I don't know enough to say if they were or were not needed in this instance but everything went well so what is the harm? I don't think the horse minded!

Edit: OMG I'm sorry I forgot to tell you how ADORABLE your baby is!!! It's so nice to be privy to that sort of occasion and hear the excitement and happiness all around! Congratulations!!!

MacabreMikolaj 06-22-2010 10:05 PM

In his "excitement" to help, he was not pulling with her contractions. She could have been seriously hurt. I just see this time and time again, and there was simply no need to be hauling like crazy on the foal and letting it fall to the ground.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I just feel it necessary to point something out so people don't assume just yanking on a foal is a good way to deliver it.

It doesn't negate how beautiful the baby is and I'm glad it went well.

ilovesonya 06-22-2010 11:46 PM

I agree with Macabre.
The man that was yanking on Rumour was the barn owner. I didn't tell him to pull, he just started to do it by himself. I don't think Sonya needed help that soon into labour.
She did get injured because of that tho. She ripped. So bad she had to get over 5 stitches.
I should take a pic to show you guys how bad she ripped. It looks bad even after being healed.

Rumour sure is a cutie. I agree with you all there!
I will have to get a video of her running around when I am riding Sonya. She is so fast!
Posted via Mobile Device

lilkitty90 06-22-2010 11:50 PM

well he was pulling the wrong direction. IF she needed help he should have pulled down not sideways. but thats besides the point now. both are healthy and happy and i guess thats what counts! get them videos up i wanna see!! = )