The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Appreciate your horse thread! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/appreciate-your-horse-thread-57926/)

kmdstar 06-22-2010 07:56 PM

Appreciate your horse thread!

On any forum I've been on, there is alot of venting about our horses bad behaviour or something annoying they do, which I can totally understand as I've done enough of it myself buuuuuut I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where everyone thinks of something POSITIVE about their horses and posts it. I think we forget (I know I do anyway) how EXTREMELY lucky we are to own and/or work with horses. Some people would do anything for a chance to just pet or brush a horse.

iridehorses 06-23-2010 07:47 AM

You are so right. I look forward to getting up in the morning for a cup of coffee and their morning feeding. No matter what the weather, the barn is at least dry and to hear their nickering when they see me coming, and their warm sweet breath asking for a nuzzle is worth everything.

I've owned horses for 30 years and it never gets old or tiresome. I am one of the lucky ones who has them at home. Some day it will get to a point where riding is no longer feasible, but I'd like to think that I would still own them just for the joy and the smiles they bring me.

RedTree 06-23-2010 07:58 AM

I love going to where Buzz lives rock up and he greets me with a nicker.
It's just the cutest and I love it :)

Sunny 06-23-2010 01:07 PM

I appreciate and love Sunny for so many reasons... The whinny greeting I get when she sees me walking around the pasture. The way she behaves for me, and noone else. (Haha.) Our mutual respect. Her beautiful, extended trot that she throws around the pasture, that I can't wait to ride. Her quirky personality. The way she takes everything I throw at her in stride... I can really go on forever. I love my Sunbun. <3
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelracer892 06-23-2010 01:21 PM

Great thread idea!!!

Toby Keith is willing to do anything I ask of him. He has such great manners and a one-of-a-kind personality. He whinnies at me every morning and evening when it's feeding time :]. I think it's the cutest thing ever!

Snickers is my little cuddle buddy! He loooooves lovins. He also takes wonderful care of kids when they ride him. My mom is his favorite person in the world :]

Bud is my gentle giant. He's 16.2 hands. He's 20 now and has been used to carry doubles (adults and their tiny kids) at the stables I work at since he was 4. Once I had to carry someone's 3-year-old daughter double with me on Bud while I had a 4-year-old boy on a horse behind me that I had on a lead rope. One of my arms was around the little girl holding the reins, and the other arm was behind me holding the lead rope attached to the other horse. The little girl even fell asleep! I couldn't have pulled that off on any other horse but Bud :].

corinowalk 06-23-2010 01:31 PM

My favorite thing Nico does is when he gets into trouble, he thinks it over and then sticks his head in my chest. Im sure its just him being Nico, but I like to think of it as an apology! He also does this slow motion turning of his head. I have a video of him doing it...I just think its too cute. Oh, and his snip...we play a game where I try to touch it and he runs away...but then trots back taunting me with it.

Indyhorse 06-23-2010 02:14 PM

Great thread!

I'll add I love my mare Freyja for the simple life lesson she has taught me about appreciating what is taken for granted. Being a rescue horse - Freyja didn't know what a cookie or treat was, had to learn to enjoy her carrots or apples, didn't understand the freedom of being in a pasture - when I'd turn her out she'd stand there looking confused and then try to follow me. She was treated so poorly, yet has such a loving, kind disposition, in spite of everything. She may always be a pasture pet - I can't be sure at this point if she will ever be consistently riding sound - but just watching how much enjoyment she gets out of a good scratchy roll in the dirt or the lazy contentment of munching a patch of clover, opened my eyes a lot about appreciating life in general, and for that I am forever grateful to her for the impact she has made on my life.

LeosAmericanShadow 06-23-2010 02:23 PM

good thread idea!

i appreciate how kind Dreamer is, and how big his heart is. and how hard he tries for me. :) he is my best friend and i love him so much :)

barrelracer892 06-23-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyhorse (Post 668781)
Great thread!

I'll add I love my mare Freyja for the simple life lesson she has taught me about appreciating what is taken for granted. Being a rescue horse - Freyja didn't know what a cookie or treat was, had to learn to enjoy her carrots or apples, didn't understand the freedom of being in a pasture - when I'd turn her out she'd stand there looking confused and then try to follow me. She was treated so poorly, yet has such a loving, kind disposition, in spite of everything. She may always be a pasture pet - I can't be sure at this point if she will ever be consistently riding sound - but just watching how much enjoyment she gets out of a good scratchy roll in the dirt or the lazy contentment of munching a patch of clover, opened my eyes a lot about appreciating life in general, and for that I am forever grateful to her for the impact she has made on my life.

That's so precious!! She sounds like a sweetie :]

LeosAmericanShadow 06-23-2010 02:25 PM

and indyhorse, that is awesome how freyja made you realize how precious life is :) very sweet story!