The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Lots of Questions... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/lots-questions-57929/)

AngelWithoutWings54 06-22-2010 08:03 PM

Lots of Questions...

Lately I have been wanting to keep my guy looking cleaner and neater.

First of all, I trimmed his tail. It used to drag a little on the ground, and the ends would get very brown/yellow (he is white.) I trimmed it up to about his pastern/fetlock area. Not too short, just enough to keep it off the ground. So, how long do you think it will take to grow back?

Next I trimmed his little feathers on his fetlocks. They were about an inch long, but I trimmed them so that they were about a half inch. I didn't cut them close because I kind of think they're cute, but they don't make him look clean cut. How long till they grow out again?

I also trimmed his whiskers... They were kind of gross and long. They had mud all over them (not sure how he managed that... :shock:) and were quite long. So I trimmed them with scissors (he is afraid of clippers). He looks much better now. But, will this make it harder for him to do things? I know that whiskers are used to feel around and sense things... Right?

I trimmed a bridle path too. I know all about this one, so I don't need any questions. :-)

I have a question about those whiskers by their eyes. Are they whiskers or like, eyelashes? And do I trim them or leave them?

Another question (kind of silly)... what exactly does Show Sheen do? :? I'm confused, does it repel dirt, or make the coat shiny?

And about his hooves. They seem a bit dry and dusty on the soles. What should I do to keep them healthy and give a nicer appearance?

Thanks to anyone who read and answered!!!

Gidget 06-22-2010 08:07 PM

buy some hooflex for his hooves..it makes them have a sheen and moisturizes hooves and has antifungal and antibacterial

AngelWithoutWings54 06-22-2010 08:35 PM

I'll look it up! Thanks!

EmilyAndBalthamos 06-22-2010 08:37 PM

Don't trim the whiskers around the eyes. They can prevent eye infections.
And it's okay to trim the other whiskers. They can help them sense things in the dark, but they aren't neccesary. Your guy should have no problems without them. :)

AngelWithoutWings54 06-22-2010 08:55 PM

Oh, well, I guess it's a good thing that I didn't trim the ones around his eyes... Thanks for the info!

JustDressageIt 06-22-2010 09:33 PM

The whiskers are there for a reason - just like a cat, horses use the whiskers to know exactly where they can or can't fit their heads, kind of like an advance warning system when something brushes the hairs. So if you trim off the eye whiskers, you're taking away the "feelers" so she might be more prone to injuring her eye because she can't tell exactly where her eye is. Show people do shave off the muzzle whiskers, but if you aren't showing (or aren't showing big) then I suggest leaving them on.
Show Sheen is a shine product; it can also repel dust as well. Beware that this product does leave a very slick coat, so don't use it anywhere where your equipment needs to stay put (i.e. saddle and girth area.)
Talk to your farrier about supplements and hoof oils for your horse's feet. Just like our fingernails, good feet start from the inside, so adding a supplement to your daily feed is going to do more than a moisturizer to build a good foot. Having said that, moisturizers are good for dry feet.

2horses 06-22-2010 10:21 PM

So many people seem to like ShowSheen, but I hate it. It initially made my horses shiny, but the next day they looked filthy, and their manes seemed like they had dirty glue in them. I haven't used it since then.

JustDressageIt 06-22-2010 10:29 PM

Perhaps you got a bad batch? I've always loved ShowSheen :D

StPaula 06-23-2010 05:48 AM

Showsheen = Amazing. I put it on twice a week and it keeps her shinny all the time. (She also has minimal fur coat this helps)

I also give feed her black as night. Even though she's a dark bay it makes her REALLy pretty and dappely.

If he's afraid of the clippers I bought this really handy one. Its hand held and runs off of double a batteries, it hardly makes a noise at all. I use for trimming the face up, like under the chin and stuff. Also for the ears, I wouldn't shave inside of them. However if you fold the ear together and hair still sticks out, I trim that off with a scissors.