The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   leg..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/leg-5794/)

Jr_lover 02-03-2008 07:49 PM

leg.....

So today i went to go feed the horses at the barn i'm at and when i went down there the people that were supposed to feed the horses and let them out didn't so most all of the horses were still up. Junior was the only one out in the pasture with all the hay i'm surprised he didn't get a belly ache. Well he was out because he didn't go in his stall according to them so Mickey (the appaloosa) replaced his spot in his stall. Well one of the other horses names Joe got out of the little gate thing he was in and got in the hay loft that was open. So somehow he got himself cut up on his leg i'm guessing he layed down in the hay and got his knee stuck inbetween some of the wood things.

Well we looked at it and its already oozing puss like it was infected. We were confused because if it was over night thats awfully quick to start getting infected. We are trying to think of what could have made it that badly infected. His knee is partly swollen and hair is coming out in clomps its gross. He's my friends horse and i feel bad for her because she tends to have the weirdest things randomly happen to her horse.

So what do you think it could be? I was think maybe a nail could have punctured him and cause an infection maybe it could even be as bad as tetnis(don't know how to spell that) i really hope not though.

jazzyrider 02-03-2008 07:54 PM

tetanus ;)

i would say its a good idea to get a vet out for this one

Jr_lover 02-03-2008 08:03 PM

really i don't think they have the money to do it. Its crazy they will absolutely wait it out until their horse can't get up or something. Just because they don't have the money to be making those calls. I'm hoping i can find out before something bad does happen.

Abby 02-03-2008 10:41 PM

If she cant get the vet out I'd say wash it off as best you can with WARM water. Not hot, not cold but warm. Check for any foreign bodies in the wound ( i.e. nails, splinters, glass... ) after you rinse things off, don't be prodding around but just kind of gander at it if you can. Pull anything out if you see it because leaving it in will only make the infection MUCH worse. Give it a healthy dose of Betadine. Also if you don't have betadine some alternatives are salt water and bacon grease. I know it sounds gross but it helps. You could vet wrap it to keep dirt and mud out and stable him until swelling goes down if there is any. If he is limping, stable him anyway.

Bacon Grease and salt water twice a day will help I PROMISE. A filly at my barn had a reaction to shot and her neck broke open and was ***** and infected. She put this mixture on it twice a day and it was healed up shortly. It amazed me!

Jr_lover 02-04-2008 04:44 PM

well we wrapped it up and everything but we were told not to stall him and to put him out to pasture because he needs to move around otherwise it will get stiff.

AKPaintLover 02-04-2008 05:18 PM

Depending on the severity, angle, and type of wound it may or may not be better off wrapped. Some wounds are better left open and cleaned frequently, and some are better wrapped, some need tubes put into them to train, some need to heal inside out, some need to heal outside in, some need antibiotics....my point being, if it is severe at all, I would really call the vet out.

If she absolutely cannot have the vet out, I think Abby has the best cleaning advice, though I really don't know anything about bacon grease, and I would stick with betadine and a triple antobiotic cream. I would at least call a vet and describe the symtoms, and ask for treatment advice.

I am not meaning to sound rude, but I have heard on several occations that so and so does not have the money to have the vet out for various things (pregnancy check, emergencies, etc.). I just don't understand this. As horse owners, we really need to be prepared for these kinds of situations. Sometimes people get hit with astronomical bills that they had no way to prepare for, but I think it is important to always keep a bit of a cushion in an emergency horse care fund.

For your friends case, depending on the wound care needed, your area, the need for emergency call or not, medicines needed, follow ups, etc,...care could cost around $500 (maybe a bit less). (I am basing that on what my emergency vet call cost for when my boy got a laceration on his pasturn on a trail ride, which required sedation, a nerve block, stitches, and antibiotics).

To save money, I try to give my own vaccines, minor wound care, buy wormer and other supplies in bulk deals, etc. But there are some things that you just need the vet for.

Grendel 02-04-2008 05:19 PM

you should get the vet out :wink:

Grendel 02-04-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

I am not meaning to sound rude, but I have heard on several occations that so and so does not have the money to have the vet out for various things (pregnancy check, emergencies, etc.). I just don't understand this. As horse owners, we really need to be prepared for these kinds of situations. Sometimes people get hit with astronomical bills that they had no way to prepare for, but I think it is important to always keep a bit of a cushion in an emergency horse care fund.
*bows* I was just about to say that. I couldn't have said it any better!

sorry for the double post.

Jr_lover 02-06-2008 09:28 PM

yes i know and i sometimes ask myself the same question as to why they even own horses since they can't pay for some things but thats none of my bussiness so i leave that alone.

Ryle 02-07-2008 01:05 AM

Having the vet out would be the best option.

Failing that, the horse should be stalled and the leg kept clean and bandaged. The bandage should be removed daily until the wound stops oozing and the wound cleaned with a very mild betadine or chlorhexidine solution and then a triple antibiotic ointment applied before the leg is rewrapped.

If they have a relationship with a vet, they may be able to call and request an antibiotic powder to top-dress on feed or get a recommendation for using penicillin injections to help stem the infection.