The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Toed out (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/toed-out-57940/)

My Beau 06-22-2010 09:13 PM

Toed out

I'm not the greatest when it comes to conformation specifics and how any issues affect horses. My filly is toeing out a bit, more so on the right. I'm going to have the farrier take a peek when he's out next tuesday. But until then, I have a few questions.

Is this a relatively easy fix with just some trimming?

She's always been a bit out but recently I've noticed it more and more, until they are straightened out can it affect how her leg grows.

She's not toeing out badly, I'm just wondering and hopefully you guys can answer my questions until I can bombard my farrier next week :)
And I'm a worry-wort mom and am thinking how it might affect her development down the road.

apachiedragon 06-22-2010 09:22 PM

If it's minor, keeping up with regular trimmings with a good farrier could easily be enough to keep her straight. I had a mare that was poorly trimmed and shod for several years before we got her, causing her legs to all become crooked. It took our farrier almost two years, but he was able to correct most of the damage and make her reasonably straight again. A good farrier is worth their weight in gold. It would be hard to say if it's a conformation fault or not without pics. It could be, (you said she was a filly?) sometimes when they are young, everything is growing so fast that things get a little out of balance occasionally. Don't panic until you talk to the farrier.

ridergirl23 06-22-2010 09:22 PM

she's probably fine, a good ferrier should help a lot :) don't worry, a lot of horses go their whole lives with flaws, but they never actually effect them. Just keep an eye on it, if your still worrying you could also get a vet out to make sure it's all good and to confirm she's fine :)
Posted via Mobile Device

My Beau 06-23-2010 10:23 PM

Good to know!
I spoke to the farrier earlier today, he said he had noticed it last time he was out (which was the first time Cavalina didn't give us ANY problems with her trim). Now that she is comfortable with the trims he's going to start working on straightening her out.

He also said that when she grows and her chest gets wider it'll help straighten them out.

Gosh, I really need to read up on conformation...

HunterJumperCanadian 06-24-2010 08:59 PM

Having a good farrier who learns to know the horse is defiantly the best way to go! We have a 17.1 warmblood gelding who toes out like CRAZY and has still competed in 4 foot plus jumpers! =)