The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Scabbing All Over Legs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/scabbing-all-over-legs-57958/)

LindseysLuna 06-23-2010 10:50 AM

Scabbing All Over Legs

3 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased Luna, a TB/QH mix who is 3 years old. I moved her to her new home just under two weeks ago. I have noticed her gradually getting more and more bumps on her legs which I assumed were fly bites. After this weekend her bites have turned to scabs and cover much of ther front and rear legs.
I have started a first aid regiment of washing the legs down, washing with a betadyne/water solution, applying first aid spray, wrapping, and re-applying fly spray. This picture is at her second day of this regiment and even though it looks pretty bad it is better than it was the day before.
Do you think this will work to get her healed? Is it possbily going to take her time to build up resistance to the type of insects at the new farm? Any insight in to why this happened and how to keeep it from happening again is greatly appreciated. Luna is my first horse.

shesinthebarn 06-23-2010 11:54 AM

So sorry you have to deal withthis sort of thing so soon after getting your first horse! What a total bummer.
I truely think if you need to contact a vet ASAP, if you have not already. I have never seen a reaction quite like that with the weepy looking scabs. I would not assume it is a fly-bite reaction - it could be a reaction to anything, or it could even be auto-immune related. Was this horse vaccinated recently? Blood work and oral medication may be necessary, depending on what the vet says. At least a vet can tell you WHY this happened and not just treat the symptoms so you can avoid this ever happening again.
Oh, I just wanted to add that youmay want to use caution wrapping your horses legs that way - it looks sorta tight and I don't see any room for the cap of the hock or nack of the knee to move freely.

mls 06-23-2010 12:20 PM

It looks like an auto immune type reaction. I would have the vet out to sample - ASAP.

farmpony84 06-23-2010 12:32 PM

yuck. that's probably the worst I've seen on that! Sorry. I would do a betadine scrub and get those legs as clean as I can and then maybe use some DMSO.

My Beau 06-23-2010 03:50 PM

I would also have the vet out ASAP! I'd have them do a skin scrape, at least. She might need some antibiotics.

Her legs look pretty swollen in the pictures (but it could just be the angle). I saw a horse with REALLY bad scratches one time and her legs swelled up like that. If it is scratches, it would be better to leave the wraps off so the scabs can dry out...

mls 06-23-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 668687)
yuck. that's probably the worst I've seen on that! Sorry. I would do a betadine scrub and get those legs as clean as I can and then maybe use some DMSO.

No DMSO until the reason is found. Topical infection getting into the blood stream - ugh!

Alwaysbehind 06-23-2010 04:10 PM

This is for sure a vet is needed kind of event.

I would guess scratches but since it spread so fast it is best to have the vet determine what it is.

I have to agree about the bandaging.

MaggiStar 06-23-2010 06:24 PM

If the scabbing is on her lower legs why have you bandaged the entire way up?

Definitely get a vet to ave a look at them,

LindseysLuna 06-23-2010 08:55 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice.

The scabs are all over her front and rear legs, upper and lower. That is why they are wrapped so far.

I removed the bandages today to allow the scabs to dry up naturally. Many are flaking up to reveal pink healing skin beneath.

THANK YOU!!

LindseysLuna 06-25-2010 10:03 AM

She's looking much better! The spots on her legs do not appear to have been scabs after all. Each of those brown spots appeared to have been caused by blood/fluid coming out of her skin from a small point (fly bite maybe) and then formed a matted clump like thing on her legs. I was able to pull/wash most of them off last night. She did not show any signs of tenderness and there was healthy skin below with a little hair loss at each location.

Not sure how to post pictures in a reply but here goes:

FreeImageHosting.net Hosting Service

FreeImageHosting.net Hosting Service