The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   girl scout project !! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/girl-scout-project-58026/)

walkergal 06-23-2010 10:20 PM

girl scout project !!

I am doing a project on bringing awarness to the cruelty horses suffer... abuse, slaughter and alterations... I recently visited a barn where they had a horse where one of his nerves was cut from his hip to leg so he would be "child safe" it made my stomch hit the floor... it is horrible what some people to do horses especially if it's intentional... if any of you guys have stories or things youve heard please pass it on to me... i need to start gather indeas and differnt sorts of horse abuse beside starvign and abandoning... please thanks

Alwaysbehind 06-24-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkergal (Post 669358)
I recently visited a barn where they had a horse where one of his nerves was cut from his hip to leg so he would be "child safe"

Hu?
Can you explain this a little more?

What exactly did they do and why? (in other words, how does it make the horse child safe?)

And who said this was done?

It sounds like a very far fetched story to me.

MaggiStar 06-24-2010 08:48 AM

i had a horse who was tied using a metal chain on all four legs that was too tight and sliced into ger pasterns leaving nasty welts and sores.
She was fed once a week or when remembered about and watered when they went to see her.
Despite being 2 and a half malnourished and hopping lame she was expected to gallop on hard tracks and roads and not come lame. Her feet were horrific having never seen a farrier. She needed her teeth done injections etc. she was riddled with worms,her hair was falling out she had been hit around the head causing her to be head shy.

After i got her she was on an extensive feed programme with 24-7 turn out proper farrier and vet care etc. She turned into a lovely little event pony.

Speed Racer 06-24-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkergal (Post 669358)
I am doing a project on bringing awarness to the cruelty horses suffer... abuse, slaughter and alterations...

Slaughter in itself isn't abusive, so I'm not sure why you lumped it in there.

Plus, what do you mean by 'alterations'? Gelding is an 'alteration' but it's certainly not inhumane.

walkergal 06-24-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 669664)
Hu?
Can you explain this a little more?

What exactly did they do and why? (in other words, how does it make the horse child safe?)

And who said this was done?

It sounds like a very far fetched story to me.

the woman told us that one of his nerves was cut i believe it was his cyatic... it made it harder for him to move his leg out to kick... he has a limp... personally i found it hard to believe but i find it true

walkergal 06-24-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 669715)
Slaughter in itself isn't abusive, so I'm not sure why you lumped it in there.

Plus, what do you mean by 'alterations'? Gelding is an 'alteration' but it's certainly not inhumane.

I am just bringing awarness to any horse cruelty... abuse, abadonment and slaughter...

Speed Racer 06-24-2010 01:32 PM

That simply makes no sense, cutting the sciatic nerve.

If the sciatic nerve were cut it would impair his movement, making him more dangerous to ride, not less.

Sciatica are important for both humans and equines. I can't see why anyone would think cutting the sciatic nerve is a great way to get a horse to stop kicking! :shock:

Dang, just train it out of the beast, not butcher his nervous system!

As I told you in my first post, slaughter itself isn't abusive. Just because someone doesn't like it and it offends their delicate sensibilities, doesn't make it abusive in and of itself.

If you're so concerned about slaughter being abusive, I think you need to be worried about all the animals who are processed for food, not just horses.

Alwaysbehind 06-24-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkergal (Post 669860)
the woman told us that one of his nerves was cut i believe it was his cyatic... it made it harder for him to move his leg out to kick... he has a limp... personally i found it hard to believe but i find it true

The woman? Who is 'the woman'? Is 'the woman' the owner of the horse?

You are saying you find it be true that someone would make their horse permanently lame just so a kid can sit on it? (It is not like the kid can actually RIDE it because it is lame now.)

And I totally agree with SR about the slaughter thing.

walkergal 06-24-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 669868)
That simply makes no sense.

If the sciatic nerve were cut it would impair his movement, making him more dangerous to ride, not less.

Sciatica are important for both humans and equines. I can't see why anyone would think cutting the sciatic nerve is a great way to get a horse to stop kicking! :shock:

Dang, just train it out of the beast, not butcher his nervous system!

As I told you in my first post, slaughter itself isn't abusive. Just because someone doesn't like it and it offends their delicate sensibilities, doesn't make it abusive in and of itself.

If you're so concerned about slaughter being abusive, I think you need to be worried about all the animals who are processed for food, not just horses.

Yes I know the nerve is very important this why it is considered abuse... the woman was crazy... I am doing a specific project here... I love all animals and I am aware that other animals are slaughtered as well... I am foucusing on the slaughter of horses that is pointless and people don't eat their meat... Personally to me slaughter can be abuse... Especially if someone abuses a horse so much that they kill it. I am going to be doing research... but I don't think it is right... but that is my personal belief... I do intend on giving people my opinions but instead I will be giving them facts and examples.

Alwaysbehind 06-24-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkergal (Post 669877)
I am foucusing on the slaughter of horses that is pointless and people don't eat their meat...

You might not eat the meat but other people, yes people, do eat the meat.

I do not like pork chops so I guess I should proclaim the slaughter of pigs is evil because people (obviously since I do not) do not eat the meat.

Head/desk