The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Breed suggestions for us (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/breed-suggestions-us-58049/)

damacl6 06-24-2010 01:07 AM

Breed suggestions for us

My family just bought a Paso Fino about a month ago. She was basically wild, and due to the advice of some folks on this forum we are looking for a professional trainer to help us out with her.

But there are 7 of us in the family and we are all going to want to ride. We have decided that after spending the time, effort, and money getting Sophie broken to ride, we will evaluate whether to get another horse or not. We would love to have at least 2.

My question is what are some breed suggestions for me personally. I'm 6'1" and weigh 230. I've ridden friends horses that are about the size of my mare, about 15h, but I just feel like they are small for me. I know they are plenty strong enough to carry me around, but some of my riding will be up in the mountains during hunting season and I will need a horse that will be up to carrying me in those conditions.

The last consideration is that our current horse is a Paso Fino and I'm told that if I do get another horse I'll want one that will ride well with her. I'm not sure if that means another gaited horse or not.

So will this overabundance of information in mind, what horses should I start researching and looking at so that I can be prepared in a few months if we decided to make that commitment. This would be my horse, that I let the rest of the family ride, but my horse. :)

Sunny 06-24-2010 01:36 AM

Just look for a horse that suits you/your family's experience level. There are PLENTY of stock horses that are hardy enough to carry you around with ease. Although you aren't going to want a Shetland or a Dartmoor, most horses will be more than happy to tote you around.
Posted via Mobile Device

CheyAut 06-24-2010 02:19 AM

Don't focus on breed, focus on training/temperment.

But probably best to look for another gaited horse, as they often travel at a quicker speed than non-gaited, which can make riding together a little more difficult. Of course there are exceptions, but in general ;)

mct97 06-24-2010 01:48 PM

I've seen some BIG Tennessee Walkers, I would recommend one of those that is at least 15.3 hands.

payette 06-24-2010 02:05 PM

I have a draft cross (Percheron/Arabian) and he is big enough to carry anyone, and stides along plenty well enough to keep up with a gaited horse, and is fairly easy-going. . .Might look into a draft mix!

barrelracer892 06-24-2010 02:30 PM

Don't focus so much on the breed, but the horse itself. Get a taller, thicker boned horse for your size (I'd say one around 16 hands), one that's gentle enough for kids, and one that's sound. Get a vet to examine it first. Also, get a trustworthy horseperson with lots of experience to help you pick one out. Most Quarter Horses are nice, and I've also had good luck with draft mixes. Mine's the sweetest :].