The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Winter hair still in place-any ideas on why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/winter-hair-still-place-any-ideas-58051/)

Citrus 06-24-2010 01:30 AM

Winter hair still in place-any ideas on why?

Citrus still has not shed out his winter hair... now before I get the generic response "get a vet", I am just wanting to know if anyone has had their horse do that when moving from state to state.

I bought him from North Dakota and live in Colorado. We had to wait a week to ship him out because the North Dakota barn had a lot of snow and when he got here, it seemed that he lost about half his winter coat within the first two weeks.

However, now, after much grooming that he really enjoys, he still has winter hair. I am not against calling a vet, but just want to know if this has happened to anyone else and if so, approximately how many years until his coat adjusts to a different climate....

Thanks in advance :)

kassierae 06-24-2010 01:39 AM

How old is he? I would suggest getting him tested for Cushings.

Citrus 06-24-2010 01:56 AM

He will be 5 on June 27th.

payette 06-24-2010 01:56 AM

I was going to ask about cushings as well. Five would be pretty young for it though! It has been weird weather this year. . . I live in Idaho, and my horses are only finishing shedding out right now. Winter hung on for awhile!

kassierae 06-24-2010 02:23 AM

Even though Cushings is thought to be only in older horses, it can happen in younger horses as well. I advise you to check out this site: The Painting Pony - Original Abstract Horse Art

And if his hair doesn't start to shed call a vet out, even just for peace of mind.

armydogs 06-24-2010 02:38 AM

cant worming the horse help to get rid of some of the winter coat? that is what i have heard in the past.

kassierae 06-24-2010 02:43 AM

Only if the horse is infected with parasites that are keeping the coat on.

Citrus 06-24-2010 10:38 AM

He is wormed and vaccinated.... we got a stool sample and only dewormed against the exact parasites found as by worming all the time for every worm, we are creating "super worms" just as we are doing so in the human world (VRE and MRSA)- so says our vet.

Alwaysbehind 06-24-2010 10:43 AM

It could be a nutritional issue. Is he getting a good balanced diet? It might just be the stress from the move and such.

My first thought was cushings too.

LetAGrlShowU 07-16-2010 10:47 AM

My horse was shipped from a nothern part of my state and was hard to shed out. I bought "Gleam and Gain supreme" supplement from SmartPak and he shed out very quickly. It has flaxseed which is good for their coat!