The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse laying down (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-laying-down-5810/)

HorsesAreForever 02-04-2008 07:50 AM

Horse laying down

have any of you tought ur horses to lay down?? i want to teach lexi when the snow goes away. I have seen videos but they use a stiing tied to the foot and im a bit nervous to try it that way cause if she is to scared and sorta try=ies to get away she could probably damage herself. how did u teach your horse to lay down??

Vidaloco 02-04-2008 07:59 AM

I need to teach mine to not lay down. She likes to lay down in the trailer when we are stopped for the night and always scares the poop out of me.

HorsesAreForever 02-04-2008 08:01 AM

hehe thats kinda cute :lol:

horsecrazy29 02-04-2008 10:09 AM

Laying down or laying down so you can mount?
If its to mount thats a lot of stress on your horses joints.
Why do u want him to lay down?

HorsesAreForever 02-04-2008 11:37 AM

lol laying down sometimes so i can just sit with her and pet her and show that she trust me and if anything happened (injury or something) i could get her to lay down so i could get on. also if its bad for there joints why so a lot of horses lay down in the feild a lot and sleep.

horsecrazy29 02-04-2008 12:19 PM

Its bad for their joints if a rider mounts while the horse is laying down then asking the horse stand up with the rider still on.

I have seen horses being taught but I myself never have. I know Josh Lyons has a trick DVD that has laying down in it.

Would be neat to teach it to lay down for emergency care!

HorsesAreForever 02-04-2008 12:33 PM

ya thats what i was thinking like maybe if im going trail riding and i fall or something idk and cant mount she can lay down for me :) and also it will prove that she trusts me :D

edited** spelling :P

Jr_lover 02-04-2008 04:40 PM

thats cool and all but i don't see how that shows your horse trusts you.

Junior doesn't lay down on command but i think he trusts me plenty without that trick lol. I can just walk up to him in the field laying down anyway. Its better to be able to get your horse to follow you and do as you say in respect. Junior for instance will follow me on command even if i don't have my hand on the lead rope and if i point him to a spot and basically tell him to stay and walk away for a couple min and come back he will still be there. Its weird he started doing this just recently and i think its all based on trust with him.

But yea you do whatever you want to k.

AKPaintLover 02-04-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jr_lover
thats cool and all but i don't see how that shows your horse trusts you.

A horse that will lay down for you or even just stay laying when you are around is a big sign of trust. That is a very vulnerable position for a horse to be in, so if they view you as a threat, predator, or just don't fully trust you, they won't be inclined to lay around you.

I think it is a nice idea :)

HorsesAreForever 02-04-2008 05:20 PM

ty akpaintlover u pretty much said what i was gonna say to respond to what jr said