The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Finding it hard to trust my own advice... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/finding-hard-trust-my-own-advice-58103/)

SorrelHorse 06-24-2010 10:21 PM

Finding it hard to trust my own advice...

Recently when Ive been posting on threads I end up posting advice that sounds all fine and dandy but then I realize I gave completely ridiculous, unhelpful advice. I don't know why...Maybe I'm just so scatter brained I can't think straight. It just kills me because I know better! Most of the things I post about are topics I am familiar with, have had experience with, and know about well enough to offer my assistance.....but for some reason I am just coming up blank and posting things that don't make sense.

Over the past few weeks, I've gotten a lot of "Actually, Sorrelhorse..." and "Thats not quite right, Sorrelhorse...."

Ugh. I know this kind of is irrelevant to most people, but I'm not sure I trust myself to post anything anymore. I want to help all I can, but I would rather not say a word than say something and get it completely off base.

I suppose this is how we learn, tohugh....right?

Sorry guys, just a little stressed. After my recent confidence meltdown it's been ahrd for me to stay consistent with the horses. Would be nice to know if anyone else went through this phase in their horse related career too?

Spyder 06-24-2010 10:43 PM

You wouldn't be the first person to have their bubble burst.

The thing is in how you handle it.

Many will just shy away and fade into the sunset and others will reassess themselves to see what is wanting. If you have the will to learn then read what is being posted that is opposition to what you think and see if there is in fact some truth there.

If I went into a corner every time I was told I was doing it wrong I would have faded long ago. And the thing is many times they were right but rather than come out and say everyone else is wrong I read up, studied and practiced what I discovered on myself.

I made tons of mistakes but I also learned a lot and there was no internet back then. It was trial and error.

The thing is although I competed at the highest level I found out later I still didn't know things and was still discovering things, so you can get a reality check even after going all the way in your riding.

I actually learned a better way of understanding what I was doing by instinct and that was after my main showing career.

Only by being strong willed can you overcome criticism and apply what works to get a better understanding of something you thought you had down pat.

SorrelHorse 06-24-2010 10:46 PM

Yes, I'm sure you're right. I suppose it was jus another straw to be added to my horse related stress.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cinnys Whinny 06-24-2010 10:51 PM

I think we all have had at least one of those moments. It can really cut you down to size and give you a big dose of humility. That said, I am glad we are in a forum where people are not afraid to correct us... If we never got corrected, we would never learn how to be better horse people.

RadHenry09 06-24-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 670409)
You wouldn't be the first person to have their bubble burst.

The thing is in how you handle it.

Many will just shy away and fade into the sunset and others will reassess themselves to see what is wanting. If you have the will to learn then read what is being posted that is opposition to what you think and see if there is in fact some truth there.

If I went into a corner every time I was told I was doing it wrong I would have faded long ago. And the thing is many times they were right but rather than come out and say everyone else is wrong I read up, studied and practiced what I discovered on myself.

I made tons of mistakes but I also learned a lot and there was no internet back then. It was trial and error.

The thing is although I competed at the highest level I found out later I still didn't know things and was still discovering things, so you can get a reality check even after going all the way in your riding.

I actually learned a better way of understanding what I was doing by instinct and that was after my main showing career.

Only by being strong willed can you overcome criticism and apply what works to get a better understanding of something you thought you had down pat.

I really enjoyed reading this post, thanks for posting this:-)

AQHA 06-25-2010 07:17 PM

i feel that way on this forum all the time.

i have only two friends cinnys whinny and pro

farmpony84 06-25-2010 07:35 PM

I have gotten to where I don't give quite as much advice as I'd like to. Although I have over 20 years experience as a horse owner and I've been taking taking riding lessons from trained professionals for nearly 30 years I find people contridicting me enough that I start to question my own knowledge. (and I think it's a shame that I feel the need to ensure that people know I'm not knew at this game)This forum is a really great place to learn and there really are a ton of knowledgeable people here.

I've learned over the past few years though that some of these folks are merely book smart. They have the knowledge through research, however they don't have the honost experience. I've also noticed that there are some folks that will pounce on a subject that they are actually one sided and even slightly ingorant on, yet because they speak so elequently, it comes across as a very well written comment.

Then again, some of these folks are "the real deal". I'll use Spyder as an example, she's old as dirt, she's mean as the devil, and she's hard headed, stubborn, and can't take care of a carrot to save her life, yet she is very knowledgeable on most disciplines.

The important thing is that you take it with stride. Don't let them beat you down and rip your confidence away because you are knowledgeable and you are under the guidance of a trainer and you are learning.

and don't forget... everyone has a different opinion on everything....

AQHA 06-25-2010 07:40 PM

^^that's true. but when they all gain up on you and flat out say your wrong, or if you dont understand they get angry. or if you want to know how to do something and they tell you flat out you cant. maybe i just want to know sometimes. if they don't want to answer they dont have to , but they dont have to be rude.

Spyder 06-25-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 671244)
Then again, some of these folks are "the real deal". I'll use Spyder as an example, she's old as dirt, she's mean as the devil, and she's hard headed, stubborn, and can't take care of a carrot to save her life, yet she is very knowledgeable on most disciplines.

YOU STOLE my poor Percy when I wasn't looking....no wonder I am ornery !! LOL

And AQHA

I don't believe I have ever been rude when it come to training nor have I withheld knowledge when it is asked for in a polite way. I DO get reluctant when people come off as though they know everything...I certainly don't, and as Farmpony stated I am as old as dirt (poor Iride :shock: for he is just behind me).

AQHA 06-25-2010 08:34 PM

^^ Good example of what I mean^^

Did i use your name. how do u know i was talking about you?