The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How do you wash the winter blankets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-do-you-wash-winter-blankets-58104/)

Citrus 06-24-2010 11:26 PM

How do you wash the winter blankets?

Clearly it is time to wash Citrus' winter blankets.... any suggestions on how to do so?

Juniper 06-24-2010 11:36 PM

It is expensive to get them professionally done so I just throw them in my home washer. I have done it for years. One blanket at a time. I use a non scented (allergy type) laundry detergent. I get a can of camp dry from Walmart and spray the entire can on one blanket after it is completely dry. I hang them on the porch to dry. After washing the horse wear I put all the dog bedding in. Kills two birds, the dog's stuff gets washed and it cleans the horse out of the washer.

MIEventer 06-24-2010 11:43 PM

I take mine to the Laundromat and put them in those large Front Loaders.

First I make sure all the straps and buckles are secure and then I toss them in. I put them on COLD wash and COLD rinse.

I hang mine up to dry as well - Once I put a nice winter blanket into the dryer, and when I took it out, the straps melted off. I will never do that again.....dang.

Citrus 06-24-2010 11:47 PM

So you wash them at the laundry mat and hang them to dry?

My Beau 06-24-2010 11:54 PM

I sneak mine into the laundromat also.

I've been known to drive by a few times a day, and when I don't see a lot of people I dash. I bundle the blankets up in hopes that people assume they are sleeping bags... or something... not horse blankets ;)

Toss 2 sheets or 1 blanket per front loader, cold/cold. Come back 1/2 an hour later or so right before the timer's up, and get soaking wringing wet sprinting to and from the building to the car. By this time I think people know what I'm up to!

When I back out of my parking space and they see the horse decals on the back of my SUV they probably cuss me out as I drive away.

Haven't washed mine this year yet, there may be a "DO NOT let this girl in our laundromat!" sign. :lol:

Citrus 06-24-2010 11:59 PM

So far the only one that needs washing is his main heavy winter blanket.... but I live in a small town. I will just walk in and wash it. I bet there are no rules on washing big blankets........ I will just bring a book.

MIEventer 06-25-2010 12:49 AM

ROFL MY BEAU! You crack me up!

Gidji 06-25-2010 01:17 AM

We have a pressure washer :) You know that hose thing where you hold the trigger and spray water?

Well we hang our blankets up on a fence, spray them down, let them dry, then if they are particularly dirty, we'll take the straps off and wash them.

draftrider 06-25-2010 02:28 AM

I just take mine to the laundromat. Wash and dry, then my mom patches any tears they mangled into the blankets over winter. I store them in rubbermaid tubs in the tack room.

I've never had a problem taking them to the laundromat near me. The owner's wife is a barrel racer and we usually end up talking horses and watching our blankets go round and round together. =)

maura 06-25-2010 07:08 AM

Our laundromat will not let horse people in the building. They have a sign up in the window "NO horse blankets" (I must live near My Beau :-)) so I have to go the pressure washer route.