The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you wash the winter blankets?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  HorseLove4ever 
#1 ·
Clearly it is time to wash Citrus' winter blankets.... any suggestions on how to do so?

#2 ·
It is expensive to get them professionally done so I just throw them in my home washer. I have done it for years. One blanket at a time. I use a non scented (allergy type) laundry detergent. I get a can of camp dry from Walmart and spray the entire can on one blanket after it is completely dry. I hang them on the porch to dry. After washing the horse wear I put all the dog bedding in. Kills two birds, the dog's stuff gets washed and it cleans the horse out of the washer.

#3 ·
I take mine to the Laundromat and put them in those large Front Loaders.

First I make sure all the straps and buckles are secure and then I toss them in. I put them on COLD wash and COLD rinse.

I hang mine up to dry as well - Once I put a nice winter blanket into the dryer, and when I took it out, the straps melted off. I will never do that again.....dang.

#4 ·
So you wash them at the laundry mat and hang them to dry?

#5 ·
I sneak mine into the laundromat also.

I've been known to drive by a few times a day, and when I don't see a lot of people I dash. I bundle the blankets up in hopes that people assume they are sleeping bags... or something... not horse blankets ;)

Toss 2 sheets or 1 blanket per front loader, cold/cold. Come back 1/2 an hour later or so right before the timer's up, and get soaking wringing wet sprinting to and from the building to the car. By this time I think people know what I'm up to!

When I back out of my parking space and they see the horse decals on the back of my SUV they probably cuss me out as I drive away.

Haven't washed mine this year yet, there may be a "DO NOT let this girl in our laundromat!" sign. :lol:

#6 ·
So far the only one that needs washing is his main heavy winter blanket.... but I live in a small town. I will just walk in and wash it. I bet there are no rules on washing big blankets........ I will just bring a book.

#9 ·
I just take mine to the laundromat. Wash and dry, then my mom patches any tears they mangled into the blankets over winter. I store them in rubbermaid tubs in the tack room.

I've never had a problem taking them to the laundromat near me. The owner's wife is a barrel racer and we usually end up talking horses and watching our blankets go round and round together. =)

#11 ·
Hose with the good pressure and a stiff brush work just fine for me for 3 years in row already (I still use the same blankets). We have just one laundromat around and I'm afraid to even show up there (because I know some local people used to wash VERY dirty western pads there). So I'm pretty positive they'd go nuts.

#12 ·
Medium weight and below I shove them into my home washing machine (front loader) and use oxy clean and normal detergent.
I hang them on the fence outside to dry.

If there is lots of hair on them I take the shop vac to them prior to putting them in the washing machine.

Heavy weights I take to the laundromat and use the triple loader.
It is very hard to find a laundromat that allows pet laundry to be washed in their machines. The one I used to use now has signs that say no pet or horse laundry.
Be sure to clean up after yourself if you use the laundromat so they do not restrict you in the future. A horse blanket does make a mess. I bring extra towels to wipe the floor up when I am done (they always drip when you take them out, even when they spin well) and I either wipe out the machine or run another load putting nothing in it, to get it cleaned out.

This year I had my heavy weight cleaned by a service. It was nice, they picked it up and dropped it off all neat and folded. It cost $30 to have it washed and a couple of small rips repaired.

#13 ·
My mom once took Pumpkins blankets into the laundromat and the whole place STUNK!! one man walked down the stairs, then doubled over holding his nose and screamed "WHAT DIED IN HERE?!?!?!"
My response?
"my horses blanket."
his response?
"oh."
and he just walked away non-dramatically.
he left me with this expression o_0

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.