The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Saddle Fitting Issues (http://www.horseforum.com/saddle-fitting-issues/)
-   -   Question: Does your saddle reeaaalllly fit??? (http://www.horseforum.com/saddle-fitting-issues/question-does-your-saddle-reeaaalllly-fit-58116/)

MIEventer 06-25-2010 03:03 AM

Question: Does your saddle reeaaalllly fit???

Well - I thought this was pretty darn tootin' cool! I wanted to share these with you as well!

These educational videos are made by Schleese and I thought they were extremely informative! Big eye openers for me, and I truely did learn alot from them.

I hope you find them as informative as I did, and I hope that they'll beable to help you as they did me!

Step 1, Balance:

Step 2, Wither Clearance:

Step 3, Gullet Channel Width:

Step 4, Full Panel Contact:

Step 5, Billet Alignment:

Step 6, Saddle Length:

Step 7, Saddle Straitness:

Step 8, Tree Angle:

Step 9, Saddle Tree Width:

wild_spot 06-25-2010 04:41 AM

Oh wow! Thanks for posting these MIE. Don't have time to watch now but will definitely be watching when I can!

MaggiStar 06-25-2010 05:43 AM

wow thank you they are very informative!! very concise also

RedTree 06-25-2010 07:33 AM

wow that was great :)
thanks so much for sharing

kitten_Val 06-25-2010 08:07 AM

I'm afraid to watch to find out mine doesn't fit. Lol! Just kidding....

Thanks for posting - nice videos.

MIEventer 06-25-2010 10:58 AM

I am so glad you guys like it! I found it so informative, and I learnt alot - I was so appreciative of the videos, I just really wanted to share them with you!

MIEventer 06-25-2010 03:56 PM

Just giving this a bump up!

mls 06-25-2010 04:24 PM

We have a saddler fitter out to the barn every other year.

So yes- our saddles fit.

MIEventer 06-25-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

We have a saddler fitter out to the barn every other year.

So yes- our saddles fit.
That's nice....

Not everyone gets to have a saddle fitter out, not everyone even uses a fitter. So many buy a saddle because it's the right "width" and "Seat Size" and start using it without even having the knowledge to ensure that it is the right fit for their horse - even people who think they have the right fit, may be surprised to find out they were wrong.

Then we see so many threads "Saddle Fit Help" -

That's why the vids are here.

HalfPass 06-25-2010 10:23 PM

Thanks MIE...
I took a look at these vids a while back when I was searching for a saddle. I found them to be full of information that "in general" most have no idea about.

These vids can help anyone especially those who cannot afford to have the fitter come out every time they "suspect" there is an issue. Having some basic info and insight as to what one might look for (signs" of the saddle not fitting) Signs of a good fitting saddle too!

I feel that having a saddle fitted to your horse and yourself is one of the best things a person can do because we all know what it is like to have a shoe on that is to tight, to big, to small not good arch support etcetera etcetera.... Well you wouldnt run a marathon in that sucker would you? So why do this with your saddle? And why put your horse through all that!
So for the comfort of you and your mount it truly is best.

Now I understand we all do not have the means to accomplish this for what ever reason. Thus...it is great to have some tools to help us along the way.

When I was looking for a saddle I rode in about 5 or 6 different brands. Including a Schleese. Each experience brought about a new piece of learned information about saddles.

When I made the final decision i got a Custom Wolfgan Solo, but that is not the point...the dealer/fitter came to my barn and did everything right there with me. I actually assisted her and then she took my new saddle into the van and made all adjustments on site. With the purchase of the saddle comes a certain amount of fittings in a certain time frame. I try to get in with another person who has the same saddle company and we share some of the cost...

I learned a lot about different things...where the pressure should not be, bridging, the horse's spine..among other different things that we discussed.

Take home message....
Please....if you feel your saddle does not fit your horse - save your change and get the saddle fitted for you both. It will likely help with improving your position as well as your comfort and your horses way of going and comfort.....
Use a reputable fitter :)
HP