The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Oh no, my horses poor back! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/oh-no-my-horses-poor-back-58119/)

White Foot 06-25-2010 06:48 AM

Oh no, my horses poor back!

Long story short I was pulling Gunthers mane, and every time I went to pull the hair by his withers he would flinch. So I started to palpate the area and you could tell he was hurting. When I palpated the worst spot I found was starting an inch before his mane ended (his withers) and just the start of his back.

My questions are..

Where do I find a person who can help me fit a western saddle? I'm thinking it's from the saddle. I'm not going to use the saddle until I find out of sure it's not the saddle.

Which should I get a chiropractor or a massage therapist?

smrobs 06-25-2010 03:30 PM

I personally would probably start with a chiro and go from there. Does your saddle have enough wither clearance so that the gullet isn't contacting the withers when you ride? If it is low enough that it bumps his withers every time the pressure gets up a little bit (during the trot and lope), it doesn't take much for them to get really sore. Plus, something like that takes forever to heal up.

White Foot 06-26-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 671025)
I personally would probably start with a chiro and go from there. Does your saddle have enough wither clearance so that the gullet isn't contacting the withers when you ride? If it is low enough that it bumps his withers every time the pressure gets up a little bit (during the trot and lope), it doesn't take much for them to get really sore. Plus, something like that takes forever to heal up.

Thank-you. I switched to an old saddle I had and I knew right from the start I shouldn't of. It was rubbing on his withers, so I took it home yesterday and now I'm going to ride in the one that I was in originally.

MaggiStar 06-26-2010 06:15 AM

If he is hurting badly i wouldnt continue to ride him in one. I cant really ride in my saddle because it has started pinching my horse so i do alot of bareback, long reining and lunging.
There is no point aggrivating the injury further so find away to work around it.

smrobs 06-26-2010 11:11 AM

I have to agree with maggi. If you can avoid working him in any saddle until after it is healed, that would be better. Now that it is sore, any contact with pressure (even from just the saddle pad) will keep it sore and make it take longer to heal.

White Foot 06-27-2010 07:06 AM

I stopped riding, and I haven't ridden in three days! Oh my. Three days to me feels like a month. I won't ride in that saddle again, there is no such thing as a western saddle fitter where I am, but of course there are many dressage saddle fitters. That are way, way, to expensive.

How do I know when it's completely healed? I talked to two knowledgeable people yesterday who said I was over reacting and you could tell he was uncomfortable but not to the point where it puts him in alot of pain to ride and that I shouldn't waste my money just yet on a chiro or massage therapist. They said it was my saddle and just to not ride in it again.

D; I feel like one of those ignorant uninformed people who rides their horse in ill-fitting tack and doesn't even know it.

MaggiStar 06-27-2010 07:23 AM

Mieventer posted great videos about does your saddle really fit they are english saddles but im guessing the theory is the same.
Also you know your horse best if he is over dramatic then maybe its not hurting that bad ou know? Definitely something onlly you know your horse so you know how much pain he is in. Id rather ride bareback for the summer then use an uncomfortable saddle thats going to aggrevate and get worse.