The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How do I train to "set" or "square up" for Halter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-i-train-set-square-58127/)

Concealed45 06-25-2010 11:06 AM

How do I train to "set" or "square up" for Halter

Just wondering if anyone has a proven way to train to "Set" for halter class ? I am used to training for horses to move and obey for riding and working stuff, but My wife wants to show this filly in Yearling Halter and since I have more patience she asked me to train her to set and stand for her. I have never tried to train for this type of thing before, so any ideas are welcome.

Ridehorses99 06-25-2010 03:09 PM

To set the back feet, I started my gelding backing up to the corner in his stall. You need to back the horse in at a 45 degree angle so their rear is perfectly centered in a corner. Make sure to back them all the way in so their rear is touching the wall. This gets their back feet almost perfectly square and almost dead even every time. Make sure you are using the "whoa" or "stand" command and let them stand there for a little bit. Gradually increase the amount of time you ask them to stand still. If they move, give a little correction and ask for them to set again. I never practice this more than about 10 minutes a day - too boring for the horse. Once they are comfortable setting the back feet (you always set the back first) then start working on the front. I continue to do this in a stall so you can keep them backed into the corner (keeping their back feet in place) while you start on their front feet. If you are only showing in halter, you can touch the horse to set them up so touch on the opposite wither and lightly tap the horse with your foot right at the top of the hoof-line to get them to move that foot. Eventually, you only need to touch their wither and they will move their front foot. If you plan on showing in Showmanship, you will eventually need to lightly cue the horse with the lead to get them to move their feet.

Hope this helps !

AQHA 06-25-2010 07:00 PM

We have a showmanship section for the feature

might even have some info on it there

Horse Showmanship

Concealed45 06-25-2010 11:56 PM

Thanks Ridehorses99 I will give these tips a try ! What would you suggest for a "small correction" ? I was thinking maybe tap the offending foot with the training stick, wife likes to yank on the halter when she moves a foot, but I dont see that being effective in letting the filly know what she did wrong.

SorrelHorse 06-26-2010 12:08 AM

Subscribing to this thread. Never trained a halter horse before, interested in learning ^^