The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Blue eye horse missing something? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/blue-eye-horse-missing-something-58164/)

erikaharmony 06-25-2010 10:04 PM

Blue eye horse missing something?

I have a horse with 2 blue eyes and lets just say shes not the greatest horse to be around all the time, the best way to explain her is bipolar or almost like split personality (obviously i know thats not the case, just a way to explain it). I personally think she is like this from when she was a baby nd she was abused and after the people took her back from the person they sold her to she was just used for staff to take people out on trails and barrel racing, obviously they didn't do much on ground manners with her and teaching her to respect people, it was just basically her and the herd. She also is VERY hormonal.

When ever the owner of the barn is around and she see her acting up, she always says "you know shes probably like this because of her blue eyes, the horses blue eyes aren't how you and i would get them, they are missing something in their brain (i don't remember what she said it was) that most other horses have and thats why she can be crazy and flighty."

But see i've talked to many people with blue eyed horses and their horses are completely sane, where i have seen horses with brown eyes who are crazy.

What do you think, is she missing something in her brain and thats why she has blue eyes?

Brighteyes 06-25-2010 10:17 PM

Nope. The only things she's missing is pigment in her eyes, which makes them blue instead of brown, just like a person with pale skin is lacking large amounts of melanin. (Melanin is the dark pigment, which is responsible for dark eyes, skin, hair, etc.) Blue eyes don't equal crazy. Bad training and bad experiences equal crazy.

erikaharmony 06-25-2010 10:43 PM

yeah thats exactly what i've always been thinking. Let me tell you though ever since i got her she is a WAY different horse then when i first got her, but the people really didnt do much with her. Well thanks for the input next time she tells me that ill just tell her that shes crazy ;)

erikaharmony 06-25-2010 10:44 PM

Oh and she also says that my horse is probably somewhat blind cuz she has blue eyes ? I just think she hates my horses eyes or something, my horse can see quite well.

Brighteyes 06-26-2010 12:23 AM

Ha ha, I've never heard of blue eye related blindness before! Does your barn owner have blue eyes? Maybe she's the source of the myth. :wink: It only takes one to start a legend!

PaintHorseMares 06-26-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikaharmony (Post 671332)
What do you think, is she missing something in her brain and thats why she has blue eyes?

Not at all. Our seasoned, lead mare is a bay tobiano with 2 blue eyes (fairly unusual), and is the most laid back, sane, willing horse that I ever rode and a great penner.

erikaharmony 06-26-2010 09:01 AM

Oh lucky you! So it is obviously just my horse and has nothing to do with her blue eyes! I always thought it sounded so strange when shed say its her eyes. I'm just going to keep at our training and hopefully she starts to relax a little more! Thanks.

sorelhorse 06-26-2010 07:01 PM

haha no. A lot of people just dont like blue eyes.
my horse has one blue eye and the other eye is brown AND blue

smrobs 06-26-2010 07:15 PM

There is an old wives tale that blue eyed horses are prone to nightblindness, I don't know how true it is though. I don't have much experience with blue eyed horses. If the BO knows so little about horses that she would make blue eyes and excuse for poor behavior, I think I would wonder about her.

PaintHorseMares 06-26-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorelhorse (Post 671930)
A lot of people just dont like blue eyes.

It's definately a very different look for people used to brown. Many folks say her 2 blue eyes give our mare a 'penetrating' look compared to the 'soft' look of brown eyes.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SiKSzxn66KU/Sv...G_0109crop.JPG