The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How to stay on a horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-stay-horse-58206/)

AtheistForever 06-26-2010 04:21 PM

How to stay on a horse

I have fallen off a few times and haven't gotten really hurt.When I think I'm going to fall I try to hang on and it has worked twice.The first time I was holding on to the neck,the second time the horse I was on stopped but I still fell because I was holding on to the side of the neck.Any tips on how to stay on?

Eliz 06-26-2010 04:54 PM

Well...
What happens before you fall off? Does the horse spook? Is it just standing there...?
You haven't given enough information for anyone to really help you.

Brithorse1996 06-26-2010 05:35 PM

We need more information but sometimes if there is enough momentum your best option would be how to land not how to stay on the horse

upnover 06-26-2010 07:02 PM

yep, gonna need more info.

1) make sure your position is solid.
2) make sure you aren't doing more hten your ability
3) if your horse takes off/spooks/bucks, etc while your instinct may be to throw your body forward, that's almost never the right answer. make sure you SIT UP!

drafteventer 06-26-2010 07:20 PM

Well, when you ride horses, falling off every once in a while is inevitable. But working on having a good, solid position
will help a lot. If you feel as though you are going to fall off, make sure you dont lean foward, sit up.
What I always do is if my horse spooks, don't panic because that just makes it worse. If the horse is panicking and you panic along with the horse, you're just showing that there is something to be scared of. Try and stay calm and collected and be there for your horse.

I've had my fair share of falls, but this is basically what I do, and I haven't fallen in awhile (knock on wood!!)
Just remember that even some of the greatest riders fall off, it's completely normal.

Spyder 06-26-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheistForever (Post 671795)
.Any tips on how to stay on?

Crazy glue ?

Eliz 06-26-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 672122)
Crazy glue ?

And I thought you would say carrots.
:wink:

franknbeans 06-26-2010 10:34 PM

I like velcro......lol :)

SorrelHorse 06-26-2010 11:18 PM

Umm....How about you just don't fall off?

My terrible fall-o-phobia helps me stay on. I would rather hang ontot he bucking bronco horse than fall on my butt. However, it has saved me from injuries many times before and definately strengthened my leg muscles ^^

My2Geldings 06-27-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheistForever (Post 671795)
I have fallen off a few times and haven't gotten really hurt.When I think I'm going to fall I try to hang on and it has worked twice.The first time I was holding on to the neck,the second time the horse I was on stopped but I still fell because I was holding on to the side of the neck.Any tips on how to stay on?

I'm sorry but I find your thread really amusing. Isn't it the art of riding, keeping a horse between you and the ground? :lol: if you get an answer that works, pass it on!