The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What do you do if you get lost while hacking? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-do-you-do-if-you-58217/)

Brithorse1996 06-26-2010 06:08 PM

What do you do if you get lost while hacking?

What are you meant to do if you get seperated from your instructor and the rest of your group on a hack in an area you have never been in before and theat you either don't have a mobile or it's not working/don't have instructors number.

What are you meant to do?

draftrider 06-26-2010 06:10 PM

I'd let my horse have his head and tell him to go home.

maura 06-26-2010 06:11 PM

^^^ ditto. I've never had a horse that wouldn't find its own way home.

Brithorse1996 06-26-2010 06:18 PM

but if you were both in a new area?

drafteventer 06-26-2010 06:32 PM

If you're both in a new area, I would suggest not moving and hope that the people you're out hacking with will notice you're gone and try to find you.
But just don't move too much unless you have too, that's what's usually told if you're lost anywhere in the wilderness is to not move too much so rescuers can find you.

But I would just suggest trying not to get seperated in the first place..

I am not the expert on this, because the only places I trail ride I know like the back of my hand lol, and I also get great cell reception in the wilderness surprisingly.

Brithorse1996 06-26-2010 06:39 PM

Okay but what if you HAVE to move say you were in danger if you stayed still or it was becoming to dark?

smrobs 06-26-2010 06:59 PM

Lots of times, even in a new area, a horse will remember which direction to go to either get back to the trailer or the stall/barn that they stayed in the night before. It is a part of their survival instinct. However, that isn't always reliable. I would make sure to carry a cell phone if you have one and if you don't, a whistle that you can blow to get the attention of anyone in earshot (much better than yelling yourself hoarse). If you are in danger and absolutely have to move, then try to pick a direction and stay going that way. It is easiest to do this in the morning hours and the evening, that way you can use the sun to keep your general direction. And if you know how to read the stars and can pick out the North Star, you can also travel after dark. The hardest thing about trying to get somewhere when you have no idea where you are is that horses, like people, usually have one stride that is longer than the other and without some kind of direction, will generally walk in a gigantic circle even though it appears they are going straight. But, if you pick a direction and continue to travel in that direction, you will eventually come to either a road or a fence or a creek that you can follow back to civilization.

jamesqf 06-26-2010 09:06 PM

You could always carry a GPS.

But really, how far can you go in Britain without crossing a road or path?

MIEventer 06-26-2010 09:21 PM

I agree with Smrobs and the others who say - let your horse take you home.

I've gotten lost before, and it's not fun - well, I get lost alot but that's while I am driving, I don't know my North from my South. I LOVE MY TOMTOM!!!

....but anyways.......when I moved out to the Fox Hunting/Eventing Facility a few years ago, I got lost out on their trails. When I say trails, I mean trails.......hours apon hours of trails going this way, that way and everywhere else. These trails are what the Fox Hunters use, so there is plenty of space to wander on, and easy to get lost if you don't know your way around.

I'd say about a day after being there, I got lost. I went out alone and couldn't figure out where I was after about 1 hour into the ride......I let my horse go, and he took us back to the barn.

I dropped the reins to the buckle and said "lets go home" and he did it. Of course stopping here and there grabbing mouthfull's of leaves and branches and whatnot he could wrap his lips around - but we made it home nonetheless :)

At that particular barn, there is this large White Board hanging up in the middle where everyone tacks up - and on there you write your name and where you're going and what time you left and how long you think you'd be gone.

If you aren't back by the given time, they are out looking for you anyways - because of how massive the area is - so even if we didn't get home, they'd of found me eventually....

franknbeans 06-26-2010 09:31 PM

^^^^ Totally agree. I have never owned a horse who could not find his way, whether at home or away. Mine always seem to know where the food is....lol. You are also on a rather unusual horse, I think, if they allow you to become SO seperated. Most will at least protest a bit.

I have officially been at my current barn 3 years and STILL don't know which way to go to get home.....the trails are very intertwined. THe horses always know tho!

The white board idea is a great one.