The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Baby Boomer's Choice for ride (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/baby-boomers-choice-ride-58227/)

goforgait 06-26-2010 08:29 PM

Baby Boomer's Choice for ride

As I have gotten older I found myself switching my ride to a pleasure gaited horse. I am curious what other baby boomers (55+) are doing?

RockNRoll 06-26-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goforgait (Post 672023)
As I have gotten older I found myself switching my ride to a pleasure gaited horse. I am curious what other baby boomers (55+) are doing?

I too made the switch to a gaited horse - specifically Rocky/Kentucky Mountain horse breed for myself and my grand children - we are loving it.

westerngirl 06-27-2010 05:51 PM

I'm going for gaited also just can't do the miles otherwise.

Deerly 06-27-2010 05:56 PM

My parents rode TWH for the smooth gaits as they got older as well. My step dad still does and loves his TWH!

Macslady 06-27-2010 10:24 PM

My husband and I ride both gaited and non gaited. My QH has a cadillac trot that is very smooth. We have a spotted saddle who has a great gait especially when he turns the motor on that the husband rides and I have a KMH mare, 21 years young, who after along ride wears me down. When she walks she has a huge overstride and will throw you back and forth in the saddle a lot.

We ride the gaiteds with our gaited friends and the QH with non-gaited friends. The best of both worlds.

Maple Leaf 06-27-2010 10:29 PM

I ride a QH gelding who is quite difficult to sit at times. I am working on a few things with a trainer and I have to say it makes a difference.
I am not familiar with gaited horses at all but I sure would love to try one.

BJJ 06-28-2010 05:38 PM

I had just posted that I am looking at switching, and got some great feedback. I love my quarters but with my husband's back problem, and I would like to go more distance in a shorter time, I am really looking at gaited. The RMH is the size I like but have only ridden trails with one and he was a handful, apparently that isn't always the case so I am going to start looking!!!

RockNRoll 06-29-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf (Post 673190)
I ride a QH gelding who is quite difficult to sit at times. I am working on a few things with a trainer and I have to say it makes a difference.
I am not familiar with gaited horses at all but I sure would love to try one.

There are a number of moutain gaited horse in Canada so you should check them out. My first ride caused me to laugh - it was so smooth but fast - difficult to describe but a laugh says it all.

justkeepriding 06-29-2010 10:53 PM

I too have a rocky mountain horse which I love. I was lucky, while visiting family in Mt. Sterling Kentucky, I found that a large breeder of moutain horses in the next town. The family took me under their wing and provided hospitality and knowledge that was amazing. It was the beginning of a great relationship with a horse and people - I go to the United Mountain Horse World Show every year to get my injection of both (horses and horse people) - hope to see you all there.

RockNRoll 07-03-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justkeepriding (Post 675496)
I too have a rocky mountain horse which I love. I was lucky, while visiting family in Mt. Sterling Kentucky, I found that a large breeder of moutain horses in the next town. The family took me under their wing and provided hospitality and knowledge that was amazing. It was the beginning of a great relationship with a horse and people - I go to the United Mountain Horse World Show every year to get my injection of both (horses and horse people) - hope to see you all there.

It is going to be a great show this year - lots of participants and prize money. Will send you a personal note so that we can connect at the show.