The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My horse and his paddock mate are fighting! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-his-paddock-mate-fighting-5828/)

Emma7442 02-05-2008 03:26 AM

My horse and his paddock mate are fighting!

I have had my 14 year old gelding with his two paddock mates (20 year old mare and 16 year old other gelding) for about 2 terms now. Most of the time they get on and are really good friends but about once a day they have a big fight and it usually ends up in my horse getting hurt in the past 6 weeks this has happened:

-Two cuts of the back of leg
-Small wound on neck
-Bleeding gash on the knee
-Hoofprint mark on chest(it bled alittle and then scabbed over)
-small bite marks over shoulders and neck

There isnt really anywhere else i can keep him where i can still ride without paying a fortune. What can i do, will they sort it out?

kitten_Val 02-05-2008 06:48 AM

I moved mine next month it happened (when the owner of the barn brought up the huge tb to the field to share). If it gets so bad, better find another boarding facility. I've seen horses being really bad hurt after the fights...

Emma7442 02-05-2008 02:05 PM

Im going to wait alittle longer and hope they sort it out.

Jr_lover 02-05-2008 07:00 PM

Oh haha Junior and this Appaloosa at the barn get in fights all the time and he ends up getting nips and stuff all over him. It isn't so bad anymore because they basically know their place on the ranking and all but it was basically to see who towers over who but another thing though is they still get at it sometimes and even if my horse bites or acts aggresive torwards another horse in the pasture or another horse does that torwards any horse in the pasture i punish them by running them off. So basically i'm on the top of the ranking now and i don't tolerate aggressiveness and they know that so they don't do it as much anymore. Its kinda hard to explain.

Basically for now wait and see if they sort it out and if it doesn't quit after a while start chasing them off when they bite another horse and eventually they will get the point.