The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Could it Be a Splint, or is it Impossible? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/could-splint-impossible-58297/)

AngelWithoutWings54 06-27-2010 06:23 PM

Could it Be a Splint, or is it Impossible?

A few weeks ago I noticed a little, hard bump on Jerry's pastern. Not his cannon bone, his pastern. I felt it, poked it, squeezed it, and he didn't even flinch, so it doesn't hurt him. It's not swollen or hot. It has hair on and around it except for a small spot where his skin is showing in the center. It is about the size of a dime in diameter. He has been working fine for the past few weeks, and he doesn't limp or anything.

Is it a splint, or something else?

Could it just be something from an old injury that just didn't go away?

What do you think it is?

(Sorry, no pictures!)

King 06-27-2010 06:26 PM

I have to rush a reply as laptop is about to die, and then I must go to bed.
I don't believe it can be a splint, as the splint bone is located along the cannon..... right?!
I'm an Equine Science student, I should know, but now I'm confusing myself.... *starts to revise leg structures*

AngelWithoutWings54 06-27-2010 06:30 PM

Haha, well, its reassuring to know that it's probably not a splint. Thanks! Now I just need to find out what it is...

vivache 06-27-2010 06:31 PM

Ringbone?

AngelWithoutWings54 06-27-2010 06:34 PM

I'll look it up and see if it matches what I see... Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I just looked it up, and it said that it went around the bone and limited mobility... I don't see it all the way around and he has perfect mobility in all parts of his legs (or at least the vet said he did...)

vivache 06-27-2010 07:13 PM

The ringbone case I saw(very new) was just a lump on the pastern, and the horse wasn't QUITE lame yet.

AngelWithoutWings54 06-27-2010 07:40 PM

Hm... Well, next time I go out to the barn I'll have one of my instructors look at it...

Thanks! Hopefully it's not too serious of anything...

riccil0ve 06-27-2010 09:43 PM

It could just be a calcium deposit. My friend's mare has a few bony lumps. Our guess is she smacked herself on something, resulting in the bony spot.

Ryle 06-27-2010 10:04 PM

It's not a splint. It could be a healing wound, it could be a bony deposit from some sort of trauma, etc. Hard to say what it might be without seeing it. But if it's not painful or changing, I would just keep an eye on it.

AngelWithoutWings54 06-28-2010 11:10 AM

I'll try to take pictures next time I go out to the barn... It's probably nothing to worry about, but I'm one of those overprotective horse owners. ;)