The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Hunter Under Saddle? Seriously? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/hunter-under-saddle-seriously-58298/)

SorrelHorse 06-27-2010 06:24 PM

Hunter Under Saddle? Seriously?

So the Summer Classic HUS classes were yesterday. This was the first year for almost five years that I've watched any english events. I generally stayed very far away fromt he other horses and only emerged to warm up and compete, then go back to the trailer for the rest of the time. This is also the first year I didn't have a horse entered. I don't always show, but I normally have a horse entered in the reining or working cow.

So this year I was just a spectator. I watched the HUS classes and my god.

These horses are supposed ot be up and move out, right? They are supposed to judge on how well they believe the horse will perform in the jumping arena. That's why I loved HUS; All my horses had movement, and they get up and move out.

But oh my god, these horses had their noses in the dirt, had terrible gaits, and I swear if we put a jump in front of them they would trip over it. They wouldn't even see it; just trip, get up, and go back to lolling around the arena.

WTF happened? Five years ago I watched the same class and we had big, muscular hunter jumpers who moved out, had heads up, and looked ready to compete in a high level jumping class.

Sorry for the novel, but I am so dissappointed. Next time we have a HUS class at the expo, I'm going to enter my horse that moves out and see if the lolly-gaggers can keep up. Sad thing is, my HUS horse isn't even that good.

Is it getting this bad where you all compete? I sure hope it's just my area...

Sunny 06-27-2010 09:09 PM

It's the same here in the local shows. I wanted to enter Sunny in the Huntseat or English walk/trot classes when she got older, but when I observed.....all it was was peanut pushers doing western jogs and lopes. It looked like WP horses in English tack. I, like you, was very confused. It's like they have to post in slow motion to stay with the horse. It's dissapointing.
Posted via Mobile Device

roro 06-27-2010 09:27 PM

Can someone post a video of a HUS class where the horses meet the OP's description? I'm not all that familiar with HUS.

Eliz 06-27-2010 09:33 PM

I went to one last weekend, a barn mate showed her horse. It hasn't happened here, the HUS horses still have their upbeat trot and good movement.

Of course, it was an arab show and they don't have a particularly low headset anyway even in the world shows so idk.

Cinnys Whinny 06-27-2010 09:38 PM

The same thing is going on here too. I keep seeing all these horses advertised for sale saying the horse is always in ribbons in both WP and HUS and I think, huh? Until one posted a video and I kid you not, it was someone riding a WP horse, in WP gaits with an english saddle trying to post to a WP jog!! I couldn't believe that THAT would get them ribbons in HUS???? I was actually starting to think it was because they could only get WP judges out here and had to settle for a WP judge to judge the HUS classes until you posted this.

I never "got" how it was practical for a horse to move that way for WP anyway, but I REALLY don't get how it would be practical to go up to a fence stumbling like that with the nose on the ground..hind in all disengaged.

Eliz 06-27-2010 09:41 PM

Well I'm glad it hasn't effected the arabs :)

tempest 06-27-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliz (Post 673116)
Well I'm glad it hasn't effected the arabs :)

....yet.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to many of the pleasure or HUS classes anymore because of this little factor. It disgusts me. I'm waiting for it to affect the pleasure horses and when it does, I'll probably go home and continue ponder the question that I already know the answer to, "What is the world coming to?"

SorrelHorse 06-27-2010 09:49 PM

Just watch any video of a jumper and you should see the HUS movement. That's the idea, at least, to judge how well the horse would jump. But when the HUS horses are tripping over their noses the idea behind the class is kind of lost.

Rowzy 06-27-2010 09:50 PM

I've noticed that in schooling shows around here too. The same horses consistently win most of the WP and HUS classes, doing the same thing for both, just with different tack. Some of them do speed up for HUS... slightly.

Spyder 06-27-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowzy (Post 673135)
I've noticed that in schooling shows around here too. The same horses consistently win most of the WP and HUS classes, doing the same thing for both, just with different tack. Some of them do speed up for HUS... slightly.

As I have stated on another thread. Same judges for both classes.

The qualification is that they judge WESTERN.

If they actually got a real live hunter judge (the ones that judge the non quarter horse or western shows) I can guarantee they would not want to pin anyone.

Many disciplines go through stages and "fads" and you can put the blame squarely on the judges.