The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   My frist show..critique please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/my-frist-show-critique-please-58303/)

walkergal 06-27-2010 08:39 PM

My frist show..critique please

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, this is from my first show back in October... I really haven't been back in the saddle much :( i kinda went through a hard time with a new ttrainer and my knee is very painful but I was wondering what you guys thought... thanks
Attachment 34149

Attachment 34150

Attachment 34151

Attachment 34152

Attachment 34153

ps I know my hands are horrible :P

BarrelracingArabian 06-27-2010 08:51 PM

uhm im not a jumper
but in the second picture yur leg looks waaay to far back nd you look like you are barely in the saddle at all
also if im correct you have a bit of a chir seat going on

MyBoyPuck 06-27-2010 09:03 PM

That saddle looks way too small for you. You should be able to get a full hand behind you. You do have a chair seat, but it's probably the small saddle pushing you off balance.

In the jumping pic, you are relying completely on your knee for support. Ideally your lower leg should be in continuous contact all the way down the horse's sides.

You horse appears stiff and resistant. In a few pics, he's traveling one direction but looking the other. Maybe a few exercises such as spiral-in/spiral-out, serpentines and riding squares using mostly outside rein will help teach him to flex properly to where you can see his inside eyelash and nostril.

That's all I have. Beautiful horse and I love your choice of jacket color.

walkergal 06-27-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 673011)
That saddle looks way too small for you. You should be able to get a full hand behind you. You do have a chair seat, but it's probably the small saddle pushing you off balance.

In the jumping pic, you are relying completely on your knee for support. Ideally your lower leg should be in continuous contact all the way down the horse's sides.

You horse appears stiff and resistant. In a few pics, he's traveling one direction but looking the other. Maybe a few exercises such as spiral-in/spiral-out, serpentines and riding squares using mostly outside rein will help teach him to flex properly to where you can see his inside eyelash and nostril.

That's all I have. Beautiful horse and I love your choice of jacket color.

yeah it was the barns tack... the horse was a western horse and he is VERY resistant and he was super tense that day :(... I got 2nd and i have no idea how i did it. :( I won't be working with that horse anymore due to the fact I am leaving and going some place else... But thanks! I ve been trying so hard to keep my leg on him.
THanks, it had purple in it and it's my favorite color haha
Oh and after the show my trainer moved and i ended up being taught by the owner of the farm adn she had me doing those exercises :)... now i have a young trainer who just.... I just don't feel it with her... I almost don't like her. Its not her critique it's just how she treats me like I have never ridden before.... I am goining on 6years :p

smarie 06-28-2010 03:27 PM

The main thing you need to work on is your lower leg position. Your heel should be under your hip. I had one trainer explain it as if your horse was taken out of the picture, would you be standing, or would you fall down? I'd suggest working without stirrups at all three gaits. Not that much fun, but it really is the best way to develop a good lower leg position. Your lower leg is your base of support, so you want it to be really solid especially if you are learning to jump. IMO, you shouldn't learn to jump if you can't ride at all 3 gaits and in two point without stirrups.

walkergal 06-28-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarie (Post 673830)
The main thing you need to work on is your lower leg position. Your heel should be under your hip. I had one trainer explain it as if your horse was taken out of the picture, would you be standing, or would you fall down? I'd suggest working without stirrups at all three gaits. Not that much fun, but it really is the best way to develop a good lower leg position. Your lower leg is your base of support, so you want it to be really solid especially if you are learning to jump. IMO, you shouldn't learn to jump if you can't ride at all 3 gaits and in two point without stirrups.

Bleh, it scares me to ride with out my stirrups aat a canter with this horse, it is so nerve wracking... on any other horse i would be fine, though. thanks for tht tip :)

smarie 06-28-2010 06:08 PM

You can always practice at the trot if you feel comfortable doing that. If you ride at the trot without stirrups enough, it won't take long until you feel secure enough to try the canter. Ispent hours riding without stirrups as a kid... My trainer used to make us do drills where we would jump into a line, drop both stirrups, pick them back up, and jump out. I hated it at the time, but it was worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

walkergal 06-28-2010 07:00 PM

Yeah I have never jumped with out stirrups... I am kind of afraid to do it... maybe its cuz i don't feel totally supported you know? but we walked over a ground pole or trotted or cantered over them and would have to drop and pick them back up

888vegas888 06-28-2010 08:52 PM

you look really stetched out in the jump pic. try and keep your heel right by the girth and try to almost tough the horse's neck with your chest... just dont lean forward so much... you seem to get a "trigger" reaction. you look a bit too ready and excited for the jump. just wait for it to come to you. also, in every single picture, your leg was completely off the horse. keep your leg steady and always squeezing the horse, just dont break his ribs!

otherwise, you look fabulous! :D

walkergal 06-28-2010 10:55 PM

Thanks VEgas!! hopefully soon i will be back in the saddle and putting this tips to work :)