The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Pulling manes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/pulling-manes-5836/)

TheStables 02-05-2008 01:58 PM

Pulling manes

I am not a big fan of pulling manes. In the hunter world, you have to have a pulled mane in order to have it braided properly. And in the bigger shows, you have to have the mane braided in order to be looked at. I'm guessing it's the same way in the dressage world. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion on these rules are.

My daughter has a beautiful 1/2 Standared 1/2 Walker paint that won't rack. Beautiful markings. I think she would develop into a really nice dressage horse and she's showing some potential in jumping. I just really hate to pull her long beautiful white mane. My daughter will freak having to do this when she gets old enough for the show ring. I personally have never seen a Friesian in the dressage ring in person. Tell me they don't pull that long beautiful mane just to compete in dressage????

Sara 02-05-2008 02:18 PM

Nah, they don't pull their manes. Every Friesian I've ever seen competing dressage did so with a french braid.

TheStables 02-05-2008 03:41 PM

Sara,

GO HOKIES!

We have season tickets to football games!

Sara 02-05-2008 05:31 PM

Haha, sometimes I wish I were more of a football fan.

People loooove their football in this town! :lol:

tim 02-05-2008 06:03 PM

Except when the Chokies choke in the big games...

upnover 02-06-2008 10:28 AM

Careful now before you say anything bad about my Hokies!!! I'm a relocated hokie fan and I'm SO jealous you got season tickets! Ahh... I miss hokie football....

I'm confused, what's so bad about pulling manes? You just like the look of long manes better? I grew up riding hunters so I think the short manes are much more attractive then long ones, but it's all what you're used to. I've seen several Friesans at dressage shows and they usually do a special french braid looking thing, or even leave them long (schooling shows).