The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   It's Show Time (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/its-show-time-58362/)

HorseOfCourse 06-28-2010 11:45 AM

It's Show Time

Okay guys, I need to know all your tips, hints, and trickes to get your horses looking like perfection for show. This year I'm showing Buttercup, a buckskin, so I have no white to worry about.

Ridehorses99 06-28-2010 12:22 PM

What classes are you showing in and what level of show?

HorseOfCourse 06-28-2010 12:29 PM

It's just 4-H and I do halter, showmanship, western pleasure, horsemanship, bareback pleasure, and double bareback pleasure.

sorelhorse 06-28-2010 01:25 PM

this is what i do
fake tail
band the mane
clear/black the hooves
clip bridle path and legs and face whiskers and ears
put like a gooey makeup around his eyes and nose and ears

Zeke 06-28-2010 01:37 PM

I used this AMAZING horse wash system called QuickClenz (QuikClenz | The Healthy, Neutral pH, Foam-On, Rinse-Off Wash). It doesn't strip your horse of the natural oils in the skin and also naturally helps repel dirt. Since it's a spray wash (watch the video and you'll see) it literally takes 10 mins to hose your horse off and they really shine! A training barn I rode at always washed their horses with this, often 3-4 times a week to keep the horse's coat really healthy looking and always show ready. The system is a little pricy but a little bit goes a long way with this stuff and it's really worth it!

Ridehorses99 06-28-2010 02:43 PM

Definitely give your horse a trim a few days before the show (bridle path, whiskers, ears, feet). Day before the show, give your horse a good bath and put on a mane tamer or slinky for the night (if you can). If it is expected to band the mane, do so before putting on the mane tamer. Most shows around here (including 4H, larger Open Shows, and even breed shows) have fewer and fewer horses with banded manes, but it may be more expected in your area. The day of the show, make sure the horse is clean (I wipe a damp cloth over the horse to remove any fine dirt or dust that is on the coat, mane and tail are well groomed and shaving-free, wipe out the nose, and wipe off and paint the hooves. I also spray on a "shine" product to the body (excluding the saddle area) and the mane and tail. I use Pepi Coat Conditioner to add the shine.