The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Cantered Bareback, Among Other Things (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/cantered-bareback-among-other-things-58386/)

ilyTango 06-28-2010 07:06 PM

Cantered Bareback, Among Other Things

As the title suggests, that's what I did, for the first time! =D The barn I take lessons from was having a small show yesterday, and they were finishing off with the games. I wasn't planning on doing all the games, particularly Bareback Command, but I was already on Tango, so I thought what the heck.

Now normally I wouldn't have dreamed of cantering her bareback, because she's simply too hot-headed, but she was good and tired out and chill after a long show day so it was all good. The judge placed a red ribbon under everyone's thighs with the words: "The last person to still have their ribbon gets to keep it." So everyone was able to trot, both normal and extended and keep their ribbons (I was actually surprised I even managed to stay on) and then she said: "Unless you feel like you're going to fall, everyone canter." Oh boy. The words I'd been dreading. But, as I suspected, my pride and competitiveness took over and without another thought I cantered. It is SO much easier than trotting! I never dreamed it was so easy and awesome! Well, I'd completely forgot about the ribbon until the judge said two of the four girls had lost theirs, and I then saw that I still had mine. In all honesty, I didn't know how you could lose it, because the canter's so smooth, but their big warmbloods had really bouncy canters. The last girl lost her ribbon on her bouncy-strided pony over the little jump, and yeah, I won that class =D Tango and I ended up winning Grand Champion in the Gaming Division, after we placed top three in each of the games. We also won dressage, but in all honesty, I think that was just so no one got left out because we totally blew out a circle and lost the canter, but anyways. She's a gaming horse through and through. We placed 4th and 5th in another division, but she was so into the gaming. She LOVED it. It was really fun. I'm looking forwards to the next show.

Sorry to brag, but I'm just really happy with how we did and wanted to share =)

Skipsfirstspike 06-28-2010 07:15 PM

Good for you! Yes, cantering is a lot easier than trotting bareback I think. It's just one of those leap of faith , bite the bullet and try it things that you run into. And what a bonus to win the class first time!

ilyTango 06-28-2010 07:19 PM

=D Thanks. I was so proud of us when we won it.

LoveStory10 06-29-2010 02:16 AM

Well done! Thats great!