The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Ponys we love! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/ponys-we-love-584/)

barnrat 02-04-2007 09:56 PM

Ponys we love!

well I said I was making a topic on ponies and I want to talk on it so make it usefull....lol.

barnrat 02-04-2007 10:51 PM

Okay well I will start....Ponies basicly are smart and need smart and experienced riders.... :D

thats what I have to say....

kristy 02-04-2007 11:11 PM

Hmm.
I don't know, I believe it always depends on the horse as far as compatibility for a person. Size doesn't matter when a horse wants to develop an attitude. :roll: :wink: So, I vote neither. I don't believe pony or horse can be suitable for one particular age group more then the other.

Just my thoughts.

barnrat 02-04-2007 11:37 PM

from my experiance ponys are more wicked......I think that they are far to intelligent for an inexperienced rider...

when I am saying they are wicked I am not dissing them at all, please keep in mind that mike is a pony.

I love horses! there amazing...and I think that horses are much better suited for kids then ponies.

barnrat 02-05-2007 08:00 AM

Just from my experiance...this is where my info. is coming from.....

Ponys get easier for kids and others to handle when they become older...ponys will live longer naturally then horses......Microburst is maybe around 11...we are not sure....but he bucks off anybody he can...but if I or a taller person get on him he behaves sweetly...

kristy 02-05-2007 08:44 AM

I still think it's conditional.
My guy is 22 and will throw in a buck or 7 if he feels the need. :lol:
But I also believe in the quiet years. Horses generally transition into a quieter state after about the age of 11.
I've always dealt with horses that were different from one another. The ponies I've worked with have had average intelligence, some smarter, some slower. Just my experience. Are there test showing ponies have a higher intelligence? Just wondering.

barnrat 02-05-2007 04:21 PM

dont know if there have been...Its just that everyone that I have ever talked to that have owned horses and ponies so there ponies were a whole lot smarter then there horses.....also I have been told that they would try anything to get them off....(they must have needed more training mike use to do this to me but not anymore...) they would run up to fences and suddenly stop, shove them against stalls, trees, walls.....whatever....bend bend bend (never ending bending) tell the rider gets off.....tons of bucks....sliding...(proven that a pony can slide faster then a horse) So you almost prone to falling when they slide....

I think from what I have heard they just need more training...but there smart....makes me a little confused.

sparky 02-06-2007 05:22 AM

Ponies are cheeky little things. But it also depends on the pony. The little children you learn to ride are on ponies. You dont (well, i dont) see too many adults on the short ponies.

So, i am voting kids.

lovesmack 02-06-2007 12:26 PM

I think ponies are more suited to children. They seem to love & respect children more, and children love them back. Adults are probably better off with a horse, they're better for adult riders too.

xX_JuniorPrincess_Xx 02-15-2007 11:40 AM

I think they are better for Kids, depends on the personalitys of the pony. Kids learn to ride on ponys.. I chose kids.