The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Getting a New Horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/getting-new-horse-5840/)

Jowolfen 02-05-2008 08:02 PM

Getting a New Horse...

(Hopefully this is the right thead..)
So my other horsie died a few weeks ago(so sad...)and I need to get a new horse.What should I look for?More than likely it'll be a paint or a quarter horse(popular around here).
Just give me some pro's and con's if at all possible :) Things like age,sex,and any other things I might need to know.
Thanks!

Jr_lover 02-05-2008 08:09 PM

i suggest a gelding just more calm and less things to worry about like pregnancy or moody or anything else and some stallions are hard to handle. Uh and a horse from age 5 to 8 i suggest that way you have the ability to do things will them still like showing and stuff and then you don't have to teach them that much and they are already broke for you. Uh also make sure there are no health problems with the horse because that can cost alot in the long run.

Hmm i think thats about it. What type of things do you plan on doing with this horse?

kim_angel 02-06-2008 11:17 AM

Look for a horse that would be well suited to whatever style of riding it is that you are interested in.

Also, dont forget to check your local horse rescues - there are a lot of really great horses out there waiting for a home.

upnover 02-06-2008 11:23 AM

So sorry to hear about your horse!!

What are you planning on doing with your new horse? That's the biggest factor in what to look for.

Jowolfen 02-06-2008 05:47 PM

I'm not into anything at the current moment.I got Red when he was 25(which he lived to be 31)he had such a horrible sway back plus none of my family really knew how to ride horses,so I rode him only for a few years.Boy was he stubborn!I got kicked off quite a few times..So he was just our pet horse for the last years of his life.
So basically what I'm getting at is that I've never tried anything like barrel racing or dressage before.

catatapult 02-07-2008 11:01 AM

did you ride him in a saddle? If you rode him in a saddle then you might wanna get a horse more expierenced in the style that you where riding in. So then you be more comfortable.

I'm sorry about Red :( and i wish you luck with your new horse.

Phantomcolt18 02-08-2008 10:55 PM

first of all barrel racing ROCKS you should try it. anyway geldings tend to be alot calmer (i mean come on try saddling a mare when she's in heat its actually fairly hard) and try between the ages of 5 and 12 i found anything younger then 5 is a huge huge time commitment thing but if you have the time by all means. and as for breeds go with either apps, quarter horses, or paints

buckaroo2010 02-09-2008 08:01 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your horse I hope you can get a new one soon!!! :( :)

Cheval 02-10-2008 12:13 PM

If you are to do western (includes barrel racing, poles, etc.) then I suggest getting a Quarter horse.
However, for English (eventing, jumping, dressage, etc) I suggest more of a Thoroughbred or Warmblood.
I personaly am a fan of mares and geldings. Mares are more moody, which I like because you can learn how to ride "mood swings" (oh my god, espically when they're in heat!). However geldings are lovely, too because they are a lot more stable.

But it's your choice. I think it really depends on the horse itself, though...they all have different personalities!

Grendel 02-10-2008 05:45 PM

If you have less experience with horses, I would suggest looking for a really calm gelding, not spooky, etc, between 10-15 years old. Make sure he/she is trained for whatever you plan on doing with him/her.

If you plan on western, go with a quarter horse, paint, appaloosa, or a horse of that type.

If you want to get more into dressage and jumping, you could also get a QH, paint, or appy, but you have to make sure they're built for it =]