The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Exercises using trot poles (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/exercises-using-trot-poles-58416/)

boldstart 06-29-2010 01:41 AM

Exercises using trot poles

I know there was a post on trot poles down below, but I'm not looking for distances but exercises.

While my trainer is off to England for 5 weeks, I get to ride one of her school horses, my favourite boy for a whole 5 weeks just to myself. :-) Very pleased with that, because i can really focus on his trouble areas.

When riding him the other day, I noticed that even though he was soft and through and travelling well he did stumble. He is quite lazy and has always dragged his feet on the ground.

So trot poles are what I plan to do with him to help him pick up his feet. I will play with the distances to see what helps him the most, but the question is:

Is there any other exercises that trot poles can be used for?
I do want to challenge him and see what he can really do.

So, any ideas?

munschk 07-01-2010 03:25 AM

I like to make my trot poles a little more interesting by putting a tyre under the one side (alternating for different poles), or even both, to really make the horse think about what he's doing with his feet.

JumperStride 07-01-2010 11:39 PM

I had an old WP horse who used to literally drag his hooves across the ground. Set a bunch of varying distances etc. like you said, had a few of them slightly raised by putting them on a bucket or something. What really helped him was setting up trot poles in zig zags.
>
<
>
<

something like that. Really woke him up to where he was placing his feet.

boldstart 07-02-2010 01:16 AM

Oh they are really good ideas.

I rode my boy over the trot poles the other day and he was indeed shocking at it.
We almost crashed out =/
He was just not picking his feet up at all.

I try putting something underneath the poles noe and see if he responds better. :)

flamingauburnmustang 07-08-2010 06:40 AM

^^ Haha. Night Heat also tends to trip over trotting poles. I usually give her a squeeze a stride away from the poles so it wakes her up enough to lift her legs higher. :roll:

spirithorse8 07-09-2010 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In order for horses to correctly learn cavalletti work, the rider is required to squezze both calves inward and upward. This does two things, the pressure inward is impulsion and the pressure upward rises the back which then allows the hindquarter to be engaged which then allows the forlegs to extend.
Please do not use ground poles as this is not creating the workout the horse requires.

mls 07-09-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirithorse8 (Post 685651)
Please do not use ground poles as this is not creating the workout the horse requires.

Step 1 is ground poles.

Step 2 is caveletti at the lowest height

Step 3 is the next height

etc

If the horse is trippy over ground poles, there very well could be injuries with any additional height.