The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Stains on White Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/stains-white-horses-58430/)

AngelWithoutWings54 06-29-2010 09:45 AM

Stains on White Horses

My gray likes to roll in the field, and get all muddy and gross. Well, the mud and dirt stain his beautiful white coat! When I groom him, the stains don't come out! How can I quickly remove the biggest stains just before I ride? I always hose off after I ride, and if he's really sweaty, that helps a little bit, but it seems like he needs a real bath in order to get them off! Any tips?

King 06-29-2010 09:50 AM

Oh I see what you mean..
What about a rubber curry comb?
I don't have a grey horse so I wouldn't really know, sorry!

Speed Racer 06-29-2010 09:59 AM

Cowboy Magic works well, as does Bath in a Bottle.

I have a gray, and he gets grass and poop stains all the time because he likes to lay down and nap.

AngelWithoutWings54 06-29-2010 10:02 AM

King- I've scrubbed at one stain with a rubber curry comb for twenty minutes, and while it did lighten up a bit, it didn't go away. lol.

Speed Racer- Ah! Same with Jerry! I think when he sleeps at night he lays down. lol.

Thanks for the advice!

Speed Racer 06-29-2010 12:04 PM

You're welcome. We gray owners have to stick together! :wink:

I swear, I NEVER wanted a gray and most specifically did not want a fleabitten gray! Now I have one. Bleh.... :-P

Indyhorse 06-29-2010 12:31 PM

I feel for you! Claymore isn't a grey, but he has quite a lot of white on his body and he too is a poop sleeper. Best luck I've had is bathing about once every month or two in the summer with Quicksilver, (that's the only thing I've found that works REALLY well on getting the green stains out) and coating him really heavy with showsheen after while he is drying, then the yuck doesn't usually stick enough to stain his coat - makes riding bareback a chore though! And I can't bathe in the winter, too cold here and no hot water to the stables. I generally do best I can with sponge baths and hope people look the other way *lol*

Speed Racer 06-29-2010 12:34 PM

Yes, I adore QuicSilver too, but it's kind of pricey and I only do it as an overall body shampoo when I'm taking Mr.ISleepInPoopAndLoveIt off the farm where he'll be seen by other people. :-P

Cowboy Magic is a great spot remover when you only need to do 1/4 of the horse, as compared to the whole body.

Indyhorse 06-29-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 674758)
Yes, I adore QuicSilver too, but it's kind of pricey and I only do it as an overall body shampoo when I'm taking Mr.ISleepInPoopAndLoveIt off the farm where he'll be seen by other people. :-P

Cowboy Magic is a great spot remover when you only need to do 1/4 of the horse, as compared to the whole body.

It is pricey. I use it at full strength for spot cleaning, but I dilute it 50/50 for whole body wash.

Another thing - you can usually pick up whitening dog shampoos cheaper, and they work well too - make sure you get professional strength though, and rinse really well. If you buy a gallon size, they most often come concentrated. About 30 bucks for a good quality brand by the gallon, but you can generally dilute it around 16:1 to as much as 32:1 - a gallon will last you a long time that way.

Speed Racer 06-29-2010 12:42 PM

Oooh, good tip, thanks!

I'm all about saving money where I can, and with a completely gray horse I need a gallon of spot remover on hand at all times! :lol:

BrewCrew 06-29-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 674758)
I only do it as an overall body shampoo when I'm taking Mr.ISleepInPoopAndLoveIt off the farm where he'll be seen by other people. :-P

Ha ha. That's totally me, too. I ignore the stains while we're working out at home (doesn't effect how she rides or learns!) but when we go out she gets a nice scrub down. ;)