The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Am I missing something with parelli? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/am-i-missing-something-parelli-58467/)

coffeeaddict 06-29-2010 02:18 PM

Am I missing something with parelli?
 
Everyone at my barn does Parelli. They all seem to like it, the horses seem trained, so when someone lent me their level 1 DVD I figured why not I'll give it a try. Managed to sit through the first 2 discs last night. I couldn't do more because I was bored out of my skull. I could have done perfectly well without listening to Linda talk about herself and then watching a group of people swing a string.

But I figured it has to get better once they get all the talking and string stuff out of the way. Popped in the second DVD and now we are told to make your horse back up you wave both hands at him, get closer and closer and if he refuses to move smack him on the face til he does.

Doesn't this just create a horse that is headshy?

Then the other way to make him back up is to swing the lead rope at him till you are whipping it around and he finally backs up. Again....why? Can't you just use lead pressure?

Teaching them to move from pressure with the stick seemed like sound advice as far as I could tell so I don't have much to nitpick at in that area.

I'll be first to admit that I am not a horse trainer. I owned a horse 11 years ago and did a lot of jumping for about 6 years, but after that I hadn't owned a horse again until recently. So I have a 11 year gap in my knowledge. There's a lot I don't know anymore.

Am I missing something when it comes to Parelli?

Does it get better as the course progresses? Or would I be wasting my time sitting through the next 6 or so DVDs? I'm willing to pop them in and give it a go if there's useful info there, but I also don't want to waste hours of my life I'll never get back if there isn't.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Alwaysbehind 06-29-2010 02:22 PM

The only thing you will be missing after going the PP route is quite a bit of cash out of your pocket.

The real world has not changed much in the years you have been away. Fads on the other hand.....

Speed Racer 06-29-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict (Post 674911)
I'm willing to pop them in and give it a go if there's useful info there, but I also don't want to waste hours of my life I'll never get back if there isn't.

Don't waste your time. As Always pointed out, the world of real horse training hasn't changed, just the fads that come and go.

Parelli is marketed to middle aged women afraid of their horses, and starry-eyed teens who think something majickal is going to happen if they buy all the useless, expensive crap PP is hawking, and watch the DVDs.

If you already have some basic knowledge about horses and how they act and react, you're not missing anything by not watching the PP sideshow.

If you want some real help, hire a professional trainer with good references.

sorelhorse 06-29-2010 02:33 PM

ive never really liked that way of training. just seemed pointless to me.

barrelracer892 06-29-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 674936)
Don't waste your time. As Always pointed out, the world of real horse training hasn't changed, just the fads that come and go.

Parelli is marketed to middle aged women afraid of their horses, and starry-eyed teens who think something majickal is going to happen if they buy all the useless, expensive crap PP is hawking, and watch the DVDs.

If you already have some basic knowledge about horses and how they act and react, you're not missing anything by not watching the PP sideshow.

If you want some real help, hire a professional trainer with good references.

My opinion exactly!

corinowalk 06-29-2010 02:35 PM

I hate to jump on the bandwagon...but make room!

I agree...ive watched a few of those videos and I find them to be a pretty big waste of time. Im sure some people who dedicate themselves to PP's methods can make a real difference. I just dont really see the point. I ride my horse...abusive as that may seem...i do it with a full bridle (and a curb bit *gasp*) and a 35 pound western saddle. As much as I enjoy working with my horse...round pen work isn't my favorite. Everything I've seen them do will make your horse very responsive on the ground. Good ground manners are awesome. I just dont see how it translates to saddle work.

barrelracer892 06-29-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 674946)
I hate to jump on the bandwagon...but make room!

I agree...ive watched a few of those videos and I find them to be a pretty big waste of time. Im sure some people who dedicate themselves to PP's methods can make a real difference. I just dont really see the point. I ride my horse...abusive as that may seem...i do it with a full bridle (and a curb bit *gasp*) and a 35 pound western saddle. As much as I enjoy working with my horse...round pen work isn't my favorite. Everything I've seen them do will make your horse very responsive on the ground. Good ground manners are awesome. I just dont see how it translates to saddle work.

I ride one of my horses in a curb bit too! Haha!

corinowalk 06-29-2010 02:42 PM

Ah yess....another 'devil bit' user! Yay!

coffeeaddict 06-29-2010 02:45 PM

Thank you for the replies. I'll probably give it a pass then. I was really hoping there'd be some good stuff there and thought maybe I just wasn't seeing it. I will now be the only person in the barn not doing parelli. Would have been easier if I liked it, but at least I'm not using their trainer so it shouldn't be that big a deal. If it is, I could pretend to care. lol

I'm pretty open, I'll try anything if it makes sense, but I just didn't find anything useful and some things seemed counter productive.

I'm a dog trainer, and I mention that because when I watched the DVDs I thought....hmmm, this is kinda like Cesar Milan. He also made up new, feel good words for things people have been doing with dogs forever, and he also has a habit of using methods that are sometimes counter productive.

Oh well. Onward.

barrelracer892 06-29-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinowalk (Post 674954)
ah yess....another 'devil bit' user! Yay!


hahahaha!! :]


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0