The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   'Eyeballs'- The Diary of a Girl and Her Head-Shy Horse That Needs Eye Drops (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eyeballs-diary-girl-her-head-shy-58477/)

speedy da fish 06-29-2010 04:31 PM

'Eyeballs'- The Diary of a Girl and Her Head-Shy Horse That Needs Eye Drops

You may or may not remember http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...len-eye-57894/

My horse's eye swelled up but soon after it cleared up completely... But it has been weeping ever since and got slightly worse yesterday, it really seemed to be getting him down. I called the vet and she gave me some eye drops for him. She said that he has no infection as such just the flies are irritating his eyes and they are all gewy! Poor baby.

So I have been bathing his eyes with sponges and that can be difficult with a head-shy horse!

I have given him eye drops for today, it went ok although it took a while for me to get his head... and them get him to open his eye :/ but it is done now :)

From tomorrow I will be washing his eyes with 'eye and nose' lotion this breaks up the discharge and makes them feel all fresh; putting eye drops in and bathing his eyes still.

Pictures- http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pict...ck-then-58361/ (I realise it is probably not hay fever now)

Well I think that will cure him of his head-shyness!

Any tips?

Indyhorse 06-29-2010 04:45 PM

Oh I can certainly commiserate, eye drops are no easy task! My pony Misty got a scratch on her eye a few days after she got here, and needed a dose of eye drops and atropine 3x daily. She ISN'T head shy and it was still a wrestling match - I was thankful she is short enough and her head is small enough I could hold her head stationary while holding her eye open with one hand - sort of a headlock - and get the ointments in with the other. I'd hate to have to try such a thing on some of my bigger horses. I have a wash I use on Claymore's eye during the worst of the buggy season because he is particularly prone to irritation from flies, but I can kind of catch him off guard, and it's liquid so it squirts *lol*

speedy da fish 06-29-2010 04:59 PM

Well William is 15hh and im a shorty! So it can be difficult when he puts his head up and shake it about but he has a sort spot for having his ears scratched, so that is my plan haha.

Rowzy 06-29-2010 06:42 PM

My mare got a scratch on her eye a few years ago and I had to do eye drops twice daily. Now it swells up atleast once a year in the summer because of the sun and flies irrirating it and the vet said to put a warm washcloth over it to bring down swelling.

What I found worked for me for letting the horse fiddle around with her eyes was just starting with my hands. Slowly running my hand up her neck and down her face to her eye, and cupping my hand over it gently. When she accepted that I moved on to a dry wash cloth doing the same thing, then a wet one. Eye drops are really hard, but just getting the horse to accept you touching near the eye helps. My mare tends to be especially defensive when its swollen, probably trying to protect it.

Also having a helper to hold your horse helps a lot too.

speedy da fish 06-30-2010 03:40 AM

Thank you Rowzy, yeah one of his eyes swells more that the other.

Well this morning was a little more interesting, I think he was fresh after a good nights sleep! I got his drops in in the end though, after cleaning his eyes. They actually seem better already, don't know it that is possible. But in one eye there is definitely less discharge, it has kinda dried up and gone of crusty. I managed to get the crusty stuff off though with the lotion.

speedy da fish 06-30-2010 09:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of his new fly mask, really good value I think. Stops all flies getting to him and it looks really smexy! (although he might not think so).
He also has a fly sheet on, but I don't have any pictures of him in that yet.
My parents say all he needs now is a knight and he is complete :D

speedy da fish 07-02-2010 05:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well today was a good day, one of his eyes has completely cleared and one is weepy but not gooey, which is good. I will carry on with the eye drops though until we have finished the course.
In the mean time, there will be major fly defense mechanisms :P
Attachment 34663

But today he didn't need his fly sheet as it was a cool breezy day with few flies.

i forgot i already attached this photo! (below)