The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   What color? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/what-color-58487/)

horseluver250 06-29-2010 06:00 PM

What color?

2 Attachment(s)
What color do you think my colt is going to shed out? I think he is going to stay some sort of shade of palomino. My hubby thinks he is going to be the same color as mom... but I just don't see him being grey?? Don't most greys start out black or bay? I don't see that blonde mane turning dark either.
The sire was buckskin (his sire was bay, dam was palomino w/ mostly palominos and sorrels in her lines)

ridergirl23 06-29-2010 06:04 PM

I think bay, maybe he will be one of those cool bays with a lighter color mane!
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 06-29-2010 06:10 PM

I think he could for sure get darker, just because his face is shedding out so dark and he has darker patches (maybe from shadow and such) in the second picture. Guessing baby's final color is always so tough, but fun to watch!

AnnaLover 06-29-2010 06:25 PM

He'll be a palomino, if he doesn't turn grey.. which I don't think he's going to. If he doesn't go grey, I'm not sure what shade he'll be (dark or light), but he will be a palomino, and probably not as dark as he's shedding out to be right now. Foal's first shed is their darkest. Foals will look liver chestnut after their first shedding and then shed into a normal sorrel when they get older. Whatever he ends up being, he sure is a cutie!

smrobs 06-29-2010 06:36 PM

^^I have to agree. I bet that he will be a pali (though it is possible that he can gray out). That all depends on whether momma is a homozygous or heterozygous gray. If she is homozygous, then he will 100% be a gray. Also, grays can come in any color, my mustang was a buckskin when he was a baby and then he started to gray.

horseluver250 06-29-2010 09:38 PM

I guess I won't really know till hes a yearling haha. Do you think if he greys out his mane and tail will darken as well?

kassierae 06-30-2010 02:38 AM

He doesn't have the telltale goggles of greying, so he probably won't go grey. He'll probably stay a palomino.

AnnaLover 06-30-2010 02:41 AM

^^ How can you tell when he's shedding?

lilkitty90 06-30-2010 02:47 PM

he'll more than likely stay pali. i've never seen a pali foal go from palimino color straight to bay coloring. as for greying out. it's a possibility. and if he does he isn't gonna get a black mane. if he's a pali he'll go straight from pali and slowly grey out leaving him with a white mane. all greys don't have black manes. i don't really see the mom being a pali unless she had a sooty gene?? if thats mom in the picture with the foal ^^

CloudsMystique 06-30-2010 02:58 PM

I think he's going to be a dark palomino. I would be shocked if that mane darkened up, so that leaves palomino and the double dilutes (cremello, perlino, smoky cream). His black skin and brown eyes eliminate those possibilities, so that's why I think palomino. I definitely don't think he'll be gray.

Here's a gray foal: Andalusian foal on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He's a little farther along in the shedding process, but you can still see that his new coat is very obviously gray. I see dark gold on your foal's nose, eyes, and ears - not gray.

To answer your question, IF he grays out his mane will not get darker. He could only get lighter. The grays you see with dark manes and tails started out with them as foals.

BTW - Grays can be any color imaginable. Even pintos and Appys can gray. If you've seen more blacks and bays gray, that's just because those colors are common. The base coat doesn't have anything to do with the gray gene.