The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   My goat got a chunk of his lip cut off a little bit ago... (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/my-goat-got-chunk-his-lip-58501/)

Brianna6432 06-29-2010 09:58 PM

My goat got a chunk of his lip cut off a little bit ago...

My dog had the core of an apple and my goat went over there... you know the rest. But, I think my dog learned her lesson from me. Anyway, I'm not worried about tetanus or anything ( my goat got bit by my dog a few months back [ there was also food involved ]& I had my vet come out, so now my goat is up to date on his tetanus shots & such ).
So, anyway, my goat has a chunk missing from his lip. It's not severe enough to call the vet, but it's causing him pain I can tell. And it's bleeding. But, he keeps licking it so there's no blood showing anymore.
My question is, do I let it heal on its own? Or what?

Indyhorse 06-29-2010 10:14 PM

My gosh your goat certainly gets more than his fair share of injuries, doesn't he.

I'd keep a close eye on it, I've seen mouth sores get rather infected. He might need something easier to eat for a few days, since goats use their lips so much in eating, and hay poking in there would probably really hurt.

Poor lil guy. Hope he heals up soon!

3neighs 06-30-2010 11:33 AM

I had the same thing happen years ago to one of my goat kids. I took him to the vet thinking he needed stitches, but he said stitches would be futile as he would most likely rip them out. I believe he gave him a shot of antibiotic (which I may have had to follow up on my own for a few more days, but can't really remember as it's been so long) and said to let it heal on its own which it did but he had a permanent split in his lower lip and when he drank water would leak out there. In the winter, I kid you not, icicles would form from that split! lol!