The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Need Advice... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-advice-58506/)

AngelWithoutWings54 06-29-2010 09:20 PM

Need Advice...

The barn I board at has a vet kit in the main office, but I'm wondering if I should make one to keep in my tack trunk or locker. If I should, what should I put in it?

SavvyHill 06-30-2010 12:06 AM

Yes

I think you should, just in case someone gets hurt and no one is in the office. And the basics, like wraps, antiseptic spray/cream, tweezers, gauze, and for people, Neosporin and Band-aids.

Cinnys Whinny 06-30-2010 12:20 AM

It may sound off the wall but I always keep a nice size squeeze bottle of generic saline "the kind for contacts" in my locker. I try to find the kind without cleansers...sometimes you can find it, but I found it's very effective for washing out horsie wounds. I had a vet friend years back that told me to use that once for a bad cut on my Morgan's nose to get it cleaned up while waiting for the equine vet. I also like Vetericyn as it is a great germ/microbe killer that's great for everything from cuts to rainrot. Vetwrap, gauze, pocket knife, wire cutters. I think those are pretty much my mainstays right there.

Alwaysbehind 06-30-2010 08:34 AM

Yes, you should always have your own basic first aid supplies. I am guessing their kit is for their horses and for emergencies.
You need to be prepared for your horse.

Lots of good things have been listed already.

I agree on the saline. I keep a bottle of plain saline solution. It is great for eye issues and spraying in things if a hose is not available.

Be careful spraying into large wounds. You can wash the debris in further. If it is the type of would that requires a vet let the vet do the debris removal.

Also have a thermometer so you can take temperatures. A list of horse vital signs so you will know what normal is. If the list includes a quick 'how to' it will give you help when you are in a panic. You should practice checking these things now, when the horse is healthy.

speedy da fish 06-30-2010 09:51 AM

I have a little carry first aid kit with wound powder, bandage, gauze and antiseptic i keep separate to prevent leeks!
oh and cotton wool!