The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   why one and not the other? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/why-one-not-other-5852/)

jazzyrider 02-06-2008 02:07 AM

why one and not the other?

ever since we moved the horses to the pony club, possum has been getting little cuts all over her. i assume its from the barb wire fences. she has them on her legs, her butt, her chest...everywhere. her, jarred and possum hang out together but the other two dont have a scratch on them

???? why would she have so many and the others none?

AKPaintLover 02-06-2008 03:04 AM

Is she younger? More outgoing? Maybe she is testing if she can out-tough the fence :) I am really not sure...I would think she would figure it out pretty soon.

jazzyrider 02-06-2008 04:45 AM

shes not outgoing by any means. she is always bottom of the pack and super quiet. would never imagine trying too hard to get out. but then again you never know :)

shes my second oldest horse

Vidaloco 02-06-2008 08:59 AM

Could they be horse fly bites? We have these huge flies here, I call them gash flys because the make little gashs in the skin. Are there any trees/bushes with large thorns on them? maybe Possum is getting into them more than the others. Just a thought :?

jazzyrider 02-06-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
Could they be horse fly bites? We have these huge flies here, I call them gash flys because the make little gashs in the skin. Are there any trees/bushes with large thorns on them? maybe Possum is getting into them more than the others. Just a thought :?

hmmm i dont think so. a couple of them are about 15cm long :( it is possible that she has maybe got some thorns. i dont know from where but i havent been through all the bush yet

horsecrazy29 02-06-2008 07:19 PM

If she is at the bottom of the pack she could be chased away and accidentally rub the barbed fence.

I personally would never use a barbed wire fence for horses anyways.

jazzyrider 02-06-2008 07:21 PM

me neither but we are at a pony club so i dont have much of a choice

although she is bottom of the pack, no one is that nasty to her. she hangs out with m y 2 boys and generally she is in the middle of them :?

Abby 02-06-2008 07:32 PM

If she doesn't have barbed wire fences at home, she's probably not wary enough to keep her hands and feet tucked. Some horses walk too tightly along fences to get injured and others just know to away from them. She possibly could not have learned her lesson with barbed wire fences while the other horses already know to steer clear of fences.

jazzyrider 02-07-2008 12:03 AM

that is true but we came from somewhere with really bad barbed wire fences. there were bits on the ground everywhere and her and jarred knew where they all were and avoided them. theyre pretty savvy like that :) if they were people i would say they were 'street wise' :)

the fences we have now though are barbed wire but brand new and in great shape. theyve done it so that they cant put their legs through the fence and get tangled like that. still not ideal but its a bunch better than where we were thats for sure

Abby 02-07-2008 12:52 AM

That is quite an interesting question. It could be that its a new place and she is being a bit reckless. My horse was like that when we first moved him, he jumped and got zapped by the fence more times than I could count and then finally he was just all, "Oh this isn't too bad, run around, eat a little hay, don't get electrocuted. Cool." He used to be kept with electric fences prior to coming with me too but he still didn't get the boundaries of the new place for a good week.