The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   hard work (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/hard-work-58542/)

casper33 06-30-2010 07:31 AM

hard work

hi first post,looking for same addvice,i hav a 4 yr old paint palie.ive been working with a intructer for over 12 months and he has came a long way.hes very spookish and worries about everything ssomedays hell be perfect others he will play up like no tomorow.i know that that is just yong stuff but i feel that sometimes he just wont do things just to spit me? i hav taken it very slow with him we only had owe first outing this year and after about 3 hours he settttle down(hard work)when he gets excited he gets really hard in the month and it takes heaps to pull him up.saffeal bit.

ilyTango 06-30-2010 08:36 AM

I'm not sure what your question is, but my horse is the same way. She has SO much extra energy that she gets bored with just normal ringwork, and she finds a way to entertain herself, which is misbehaving just to spite me. It takes a LONG time to get her reasonably settled down so she's not trying to run everywhere. Just keep your horse working, a couple good hours every day, if you can. He should settle down eventually.

Kayty 06-30-2010 08:58 AM

You haven't posted a question?? Not sure what the point of this one is sorry.

As for him trying things to 'spite' you... you cannot humanise a horse. They do not do things to 'spite' you, they do not try to get revenge etc. I'm sure your horse is just being young, and if he reacts negatively to something you do, more than likely it's because you haven't asked right.

ilyTango 06-30-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 675787)
As for him trying things to 'spite' you... you cannot humanise a horse. They do not do things to 'spite' you, they do not try to get revenge etc. I'm sure your horse is just being young, and if he reacts negatively to something you do, more than likely it's because you haven't asked right.

I don't know about that...it might not purposely be to "spite" you, but a horse with too much energy will sometimes do negative things just to see how you react, simply because they're bored. My horse even did it for my instructor, so I'm pretty sure we simply didn't ask her wrong.

Kayty 06-30-2010 07:48 PM

Yep, but that's not humanising them, that's reacting out of 'boredom'... very different to spite ;) Or because the horse isn't sure yet what do it, it hasn't learnt the aid, it's feeling 'off' that day etc etc.

ilyTango 06-30-2010 09:52 PM

Ah, very true.