The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Paddock Paradise ...... one horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/paddock-paradise-one-horse-58577/)

totalfreedom 06-30-2010 06:57 PM

Paddock Paradise ...... one horse

Has anyone seen a paddock paradise with just a single horse? Or do you have a PP with just one horse?

I've been searching the internet, but all I could find is someone asking the same question.

I need to find a way to keep my older guy moving and keep him off the grass.

There are a couple reasons why I wanna keep him alone. But the other horse will be next to him in the grass under the trees.

I'm wondering if I should try and build a PP with a narrow maze track or if I'm just wasting my time. I would do both horses in there but my GP kinda freaks out about me mentioning putting up all that wire with my cousins horse in there.

I do have a PP at the moment but it's pretty wide in places and they don't move around as much as I thought they would.

The wire reason and also feed is why I don't wanna put em both on the PP.

It kinda seems that the herd is what keeps em all moving along the track in search for water/food/etc.. It's as if they push/pull one another around and around.? So I'm really wondering if it'll work for just one horse.?

Skipsfirstspike 06-30-2010 07:28 PM

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, it sounds like you need your horse in a grass free enclosure, and want to encourage him to move, am I right?
If so, I wouldn't bother with the maze, I can't see that motivating many horses.
The only thing I can think of is taking a bag of carrots and cutting them into small pieces and scattering them over the whole paddock. This will get him moving as well as allowing him to 'graze'.

Poco1220 06-30-2010 07:32 PM

I've never heard of this, could you explain it a little?

ridergirl23 06-30-2010 07:34 PM

I agree with skipsfirstspike, thats a really good idea!!!!!!!

wild_spot 06-30-2010 08:07 PM

I think it would still work, just maybe not as well. You can force the movement by putting the feed/water/shelter in different places around the track. However, yep, I do believe it would work better with more than one horse as that encourages playing.

I would love to build a PP if I had my own place. *Sigh*.