The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   She believes the clippers will eat her. . . (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/she-believes-clippers-will-eat-her-58608/)

friafreedom756 07-01-2010 12:01 AM

She believes the clippers will eat her. . .

I'm working on getting my mare to let me clip her. She is fine with it being on around her, but has enough of it after about a minute. I've been slowly exposing it to her, ans giving treats when she is standing quietly. Any suggestions?

Brighteyes 07-01-2010 12:17 AM

What do you mean by, "had enough of it"? Does she start getting mildly scared/irritated or does she have a full on panic attack? If she's just a little scared, keep 'em running! Let her pitch a little fit. Turn them off the moment she calms down. If you flip them off every time she gets just a little scared, you won't make much progress. But if she's thrashing dangerously and could possibly hurt herself or others, that's a different thing...

friafreedom756 07-01-2010 11:14 AM

it starts with a little panic then she freaks and her butt swings side to side and she jumps around.

kitten_Val 07-01-2010 12:03 PM

I'd just keep working on her every day. She should eventually be OK. That's how I taught mine: a little of clipping, as long as they are standing fine for some time - a little piece of carrot. And again clipping, and again carrot.

Brighteyes 07-01-2010 12:09 PM

My old horse did something similar to that. I did pretty much what Kitten Val did; stand, get a treat. Struggle, get nothing. I just kept on clipping until she stood quietly and got her carrot.

apachiedragon 07-01-2010 02:29 PM

I also love those handheld massagers from Walmart. No cords to get tangled in, and the noise and vibration is similar. Except with the massager, it tends to be something they like after a while, and then when they hear/feel the clippers, they don't mind them as much. Also, make sure your blades are SHARP. They will pull hair and not cut well if they are dull and ouch!

friafreedom756 07-01-2010 02:43 PM

im starting with the little finger clippers, they are smaller, quieter and have no cords.