The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Eventing Internationally (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/eventing-internationally-58683/)

smilin1590 07-01-2010 08:24 PM

Eventing Internationally

I was just wondering how do people end up competing/eventing internationally? Do you have to qualify, do you have to be chosen, or what? I'm slightly foggy about this. I was just wondering because this my very very long term goal :D

Strange 07-01-2010 09:27 PM

A lot of times those who compete internationally have a) been competing for a long time, b) have trained with other international trainers, c) have (in all honesty) gotten lucky in finding a very inexpensive horse that ended up with the talent to go international, d) have the money to compete regularly and take regular lessons, e) live in an area with a lot of shows of all levels (ex: east coast, west coast). It's really a toss up of a lot of factors, imo.

StormyBlues 07-02-2010 10:47 AM

or F) have your dad or mom be an international rider.

It's ALOT of hard work, and really expensive. I have a friend who competes in international level events (2 stars) and his family is really well off in the money buisness. But he's also a good rider, who trains horses and works well with them.

I think to be a FEI level rider, you have to understand the horse and every aspect of it's care and the sport. You have to know the horse inside and out.

Spyder 07-02-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange (Post 677800)
c) have (in all honesty) gotten lucky in finding a very inexpensive horse that ended up with the talent to go international,

Like John Williams and Carrick.

Strange 07-02-2010 12:38 PM

Exactly, Spyder. Sara Mittleider's horse El Primero is another. She bought him for a couple hundred bucks as an OTTB.

Spyder 07-02-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strange (Post 678315)
Exactly, Spyder. Sara Mittleider's horse El Primero is another. She bought him for a couple hundred bucks as an OTTB.

I heard that John Williams has another horse also from Cozy's Commander ( Carrick's sire) but that is just a rumor as Commander has been dead for a few years now.

Strange 07-02-2010 01:21 PM

Hmm, I wonder if there's any information about that on his website. I want to go look now, hah.

StormyBlues 07-02-2010 04:30 PM

Buck Davidson's new horse, Titanium, is an OTTB. And wasn't Cool Mountian, William FP's ride at Rolex this year? I love those kinds of horses. The ones that come from nothing. It makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside :)

MIEventer 07-02-2010 04:41 PM

Not sure if it was Buck or Bruce - but they took an OTTB that was under training for a very short period of time, ended up at Rolex and placed 5th.

Can't remember the horse's name, but I do remember many of his Peer's saying he's crazy for doing it - but he prooved them wrong :)

Quixotic 07-02-2010 05:19 PM

My old trainer is a 4star international eventer, & it costs her about $15k per month to campaign her horse.