The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Breeding (/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Hardest decision of my life): (

TwoHeartsOneBond 07-01-2010 11:18 PM

Hardest decision of my life):
So my mare Raekja (same horse from "what a day. My horse got raped by her son!") got bred by her son. For full story read ad mentioned above. So I had the vet out today and she put my mare on anti-biotics (her vuvla is torn pretty bad and got *****) and so thats not the problem since she was bred...there is a chance she is pregnant.

So with that said there is a lot I have to decide. I have 60 days to decide whether I want the possible foal. The thing is my ICELANDIC mare is from Iceland and she has pure blood lines, in turn her son who bred her has great bloodlines also. So I have to decide.

1; keep the possible foal as it has great bloodlines and my mare is older and it could be good for me, and it would be her last foal.

2; abort the foal because all my dreams would be crushed if I kept it.

3; wait 21 days and see if she is pregnant and let nature decide to take or not

But Im so scared. I mean if you need more details you can go ahead ask. Just help me decide!!

paintluver 07-01-2010 11:20 PM

Isn't there a chance that the foal could be deformed?

corinowalk 07-01-2010 11:33 PM

Honestly, I would abort as soon as possible. Im sure that the foal would be just fine but another mouth to feed never seems like much until its time to feed it. I dont think I would keep the foal in that situation.

TwoHeartsOneBond 07-02-2010 12:34 AM


Originally Posted by paintluver (Post 677924)
Isn't there a chance that the foal could be deformed?

Uhm the chance is so small. Horses are bred back a lot but its bad to keep doing it because all the bad qualities in the gene pool build up and it could become deformed but since this is the first time it wouldnt be bad. < as in the foal wouldnt have 5 legs or one eye or something lol

draftrider 07-02-2010 01:04 AM

Is your mare even going to give birth normally with the damage to her reproductive organs?

Is the foal registerable?

TwoHeartsOneBond 07-02-2010 01:07 AM

I think she would be. The vet said she just wouldnt be sound to breed again. And I think it might be, I havent looked into it.

draftrider 07-02-2010 01:18 AM

If the vet says she is not sound to breed again, I would seriously consider aborting the embryo now.

If the foal cannot be registered, abort now.

JustDressageIt 07-02-2010 01:35 AM

If the mare "will not be breeding sound again" then she's likely not fit to carry and deliver this foal. Keeping it sounds like a HUGE risk.

Then there's the issue about marketability - I know that many people would look at the bloodlines (or ask who the sire is) and turn away as soon as they found out that the foal was a whoopsie breeding of two closely-related horses. (Dam and foal.) That alone will turn a lot of people off.

Do the right thing, abort the embryo now.

Northern 07-02-2010 01:39 AM

You say that all your dreams'd be crushed if she had the foal: that's a huge statement! It's hard for me to evaluate the situation when I don't know what your dreams are, if they're truly life-long goals, if in fact there's a way to have the foal & fulfil the dreams as well (that you haven't thought of), etc.. You also say that having the foal could be good for you--? I'd list the pros & cons, since there seem to be both, & choose the weightier side. You also need to be apprised of pregnancy/delivery risks to the mare, & figure that in, as well as whether it's good for her emotional health to go through with a pregnancy at this time. Why would this have to be her last foal? Then, too, would you regret it if you had the foal aborted? Would an abortion put the mare into emotional/chemical trauma?

MacabreMikolaj 07-02-2010 04:12 AM

In the end, I would be far more concerned about her healthy in carrying this foal then I would be about the inbreeding - I don't advocate it, but many breeders (of different breeds) have been inbreeding like psychos for decades. A single cross is highly unlikely to cause any problems, no more so then breeding two unrelated horses. The "deformity" issue we see in humans for some reason just doesn't seem to apply to animals - generations of inbreeding are what typically cause genetic defects and diseases, but it typically takes a LOT of crossing back to produce such weakened genetic material as that.

Anyway, I would seriously discuss it with your vet. If the bloodlines are good, the foal is registerable and your mare is healthy to foal, I wouldn't personally be looking at the inbreeding issue as the main reason for aborting. However, her foaling health is paramount to everything else and if she's breeding unsound, I would be heavily concerned about her ability to carry to term and deliver safely.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome