The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   His tuck is nowhere to be found, but atleast He's got Impusion (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/his-tuck-nowhere-found-but-atleast-58752/)

GreyRay 07-02-2010 08:14 PM

His tuck is nowhere to be found, but atleast He's got Impusion

This is Shaffiek, he is 3 years old 15hh(and still growing), he's a Mustang/Arabian/Quarter Horse cross, and yes he IS a stallion(iknow iknow... he's a grade piece of unworthy horse that severally needs gelded bla bla bla)
BUUUTTT I was wondering what you guys thought of his jumping skills. Maybe his long thick legs and slender body can be put to some great use?!(though I will never be able to jump him myself). I know he's young but trust me, I would never push him to his limits, he only jumps as high as he is comfortable with(otherwise I would probably be forcing him over 4ft fences)

I know he need work on his tuck and striding. But if you see anything else feel free to point it out!
(I couldn't figure out how to embed the videos:-|)

This one if from a front angle

The jumps are all 3ft high, the Jumping Standards are 4ft. Here are a couple pictures(still shots from the video's)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/...f6c667fa_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/...4d921ed1_z.jpg

MacabreMikolaj 07-02-2010 09:25 PM

I think you're going to end up with a seriously injured horse if you keep this crap up.

Only as high as he's comfortable with? Maybe you should concentrate on actually training him to lunge properly before CHASING him towards fences that he's popping so badly, I winced everytime he landed on those poor young legs. When a horse WON'T jump unless you're HURTLING him towards it, STOP. There is NO jump in this video that gives even a remote idea of his actual jumping ability - he has no interest in doing this, is looking for any way out possible, and is NOT enjoying himself. He's unbalanced and jumping badly, and should not be going over fences this big until he learns to use himself or he's going to seriously damage his legs.

I won't even touch the gelding issue as it has nothing to do with the video, but I'm sure you can ascertain my opinion of that too anyway.

Cinnys Whinny 07-02-2010 09:39 PM

I"m sorry but I am going to have to agree with everything MacabreMikolaj just said. This horse is not in any condition or form to be jumping so much as a 1 foot jump. You say you would never push him but um...I'm sorry if a horse refuses a jump 2 times until the 3rd you finally get him forced over...then that is pushing him.

Let him finish growing and developing his legs. Get him in condition and muscled up. Teach him to use his body and then maybe you can think about starting poles on the ground.

GreyRay 07-02-2010 10:12 PM

i'm not forcing him... if I was forcing him he wouldnt of been able to refuse(or when he tried he would have jumped from a stand).
as for the "lunging properly" thing, he lunges just fine, I dont know where you are seeing him not lunging properly? He lunges on a single, he works with side reins, hes has had lots of ground work...
Posted via Mobile Device

MacabreMikolaj 07-02-2010 10:17 PM

You can't FORCE a horse to jump anymore then you can FORCE a horse to drink water - you can beat him as much as you like, some will never try. What you are doing IS in as much force as a human can create - he is jumping terribly, and landing in awful awful ways that are blatantly hurting him, and when he tries to tell you that by refusing multiple times, you set him up to "chase" him over the jump.

Free jumping is not about chasing - you don't WANT a horse galloping the fence. You want a proper and controlled lunging circle so the horse can judge his distance and balance himself. If you are CHASING him into a fast canter, you are only setting him up to be severely injured because he has NO balance going into this fence.

He is DRAGGING you around that tiny circle - my biggest indication that neither HIM nor YOU know how to lunge properly. No youngster (or any horse for that matter) should be made to be cantering such a tiny circle, much less being thrown at a fence WAY to big for him.

dressagexlee 07-02-2010 10:32 PM

I have to agree with the others. You may not be forcing him, but you are confusing him with your body language and the general set up of the whole situation.

Lunging over single fences higher than two feet can be dangerous in a circle that small. You're asking him to perform a turn into a jump that he is simply not physically capable of doing - it is better fit for an amateur stadium course.
The jump is not set up correctly - see how deep he is getting in to it? That's because he can't see how high or far away it is. It has no ground line, or even a second pole to give it any depth. See this post for more detail on how horses see fences.

My suggestion? Free-jumping him (correctly) to assess potential is great. Try setting up a chute (made of poles or even simple flag-tape) with a properly strided and set up grid, and you'll get better results. It allows them to set themselves up with little or no human interference (except for the intial "go on" shooing at the beginning), they can go in a straight line, and grids naturally help horses (and riders) to get a good rhythem and settle into a nice jump.
Here's an example of free-jumping a grid.

And remember - absolutely do not over jump him! Notice that I said to assess potential, not to train. He's three and he has plenty of growing to do still, and you'll want him to have a long and happy career by remaining nice and sound. ~

JumperStride 07-02-2010 10:34 PM

The first sentence of this thread should tell you he shouldn't be jumping at all. Still growing? Those jumps are a good example of how a horse that doesn't even know how to use his body on the flat properly jumps. No form, no scope, and a rather painful looking landing.

kmdstar 07-02-2010 11:30 PM

YOU need to learn how to lunge a horse before trying to teach a young horse how to lunge. Holy...wow.

"3 years old, still growing" HELLLLLLO why are you jumping this horse?! Do you want him to have arthritis by the time he is ten?

What height did you START him jumping on the lunge? When he SHOULD be learning to jump (in like 2 years...not now) you need to start SMALL first. He clearly doesn't have the confidence or stability to go over jumps that high, notice the hesitation? Or maybe the awful jumping form? - and I'm not insulting your horse, I think he could be a good jumper if he had the right kind of guidance.

A knack for horses 07-03-2010 12:30 AM

When you lunge a horse, you should stay in relatively the same spot, not wandering around the pasture.

I don't know much about jumping, but I can tell that that is not the way you start a horse. When he darts between you and the jump like that, he is trying to tell you something. Just like when a potential roping horse is in the chute, and the cow is released, but the horse just stands there. Sure you can kick and whip and poke and prod that cowhorse all you want to get him to go, but he doesn't enjoy it. He isn't interested in the cow, and you make more work for yourself by trying to make him do it.

You are just creating tons more work for yourself, because the horse doesn't enjoy himself. And also, 3 years old is still considered a baby. He may not be a foal, and should have more patientce and attention span than one, but he still needs time for his body to grow and develop. You are putting too much strain on his developing legs.

GreyRay 07-03-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmdstar (Post 678991)
YOU need to learn how to lunge a horse before trying to teach a young horse how to lunge. Holy...wow.

"3 years old, still growing" HELLLLLLO why are you jumping this horse?! Do you want him to have arthritis by the time he is ten?

What height did you START him jumping on the lunge?

ground poles.
Posted via Mobile Device