The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   i got a horse for a week! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/i-got-horse-week-58758/)

pinuppurple 07-02-2010 09:54 PM

i got a horse for a week!

i don't own my own horse and i volunteer at a barn and they decided to reward my hard work with the joys of working a chubby horse back into shape. So i'm taking this opprotunity to improve my riding, for the first couple days i'm doing walk/trot and then i might start cantering her if its not to much for her.
So what do you guys propose i do?
( things like riding without stirrups and exsersizes to help me better my position and riding :3 )

purplefoal 07-02-2010 10:12 PM

Oooh, fun! Try posting up-up, down or things like that. You could also try leg yields, figure eights, circles... maybe cavalettis? Try extending and collecting the trot and try to get the horse on the bit. There are all sorts of other exercises that you can try. Probably most importantly, though, you should have somebody experienced watch you and give you tips so you don't get bad habits. Good luck and have fun!!!

horsegirlmaddy 07-05-2010 04:56 PM

TRANSITIONS! you can go halt-trot-walk-extended trot-free walk, etc. It'll keep both of you on your toes :)

flamingauburnmustang 07-08-2010 03:42 AM

That's awesome! :grin:

I would suggest lots of stirrupless riding (works miracles to get you to sit deep in the saddle), and poles are great too. Try standing in your stirrups and do two point in trot.

One evil thing that my riding instructer makes us do is to lift your legs up and off the saddle. It's really painful, but it strengthens those legs alright! :wink:

Alwaysbehind 07-08-2010 07:41 AM

So glad your hard work is being appreciated. That is great. Sounds like you have a wonderful barn owner.

Confirm with your barn owner what you are permitted to do with 'your' horse before you do things like ground poles and such. There might be rules that you would not want to break.