The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   How do you afford your shows? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/how-do-you-afford-your-shows-58761/)

pinuppurple 07-02-2010 10:30 PM

How do you afford your shows?

im not one to ask my parents for money because they never give it to me and shows are soooo expensive!
im to young to get a job and believe me ive tried to sell things and babysit and everything you could possibly imagine! my only hope for showing this season is to ask my parents.
How do you guys convince your parents to blow tons of money on one show?

My Beau 07-02-2010 10:42 PM

You don't need to blow tons of money on one show - a small schooling show can be just as fun, if not more (less pressure on you to be perfect) than a big expensive show. Ask them to pay for one of those - let them see what you can do before jumping off the deep end into the show world.

My parents do pay for some of my shows because they know that as a college student money gets tight and they know how much I love it and they like seeing my horses do well. Plus, I pay for pretty much everything else the horses need...

SorrelHorse 07-02-2010 10:53 PM

I, personally, have worked my rump off at my trainers before I got a food handlers card and started working at the cafe . So now I'm fifteen, have two jobs, and never have a free moment. Maybe you could start doing some jobs at a barn. They generally pay enough for small entry fees to lower level shows after a bit of time there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cinnys Whinny 07-02-2010 11:02 PM

One of the younger girls at my stable has made it to Pony finals and is trying to pay her way. She is 12 and can not get a job. She put up a notice at the stable for odd jobs such as saddle cleaning, lunging other peoples horses, cleaning/organizing their tack sheds, etc. If you are at a stable you might want to tell the owner what you have in mind and get her permission and approval on what you can advertise to do (some stables won't let you get paid for working someones horse because they consider it training..sheesh). If you are not at a stable, maybe see if there are some local, find the barn owner and tell her that you are looking to earn your way to shows and ask permission to advertise to their boarders your services. The girl at our stable also goes to some of the bigger shows and sets up a booth cleaning tack...her parents pay for it initially, but then she pays them back after the show is over with what she has earned and then keeps the rest towards her showing.

Besides trying to find an income, also look for consignment stores and the such where you might be able to find gently used show clothes that fit instead of brand new. Check out some of the threads on show tips to find some cheap grooming ideas such as using hairspray on your horses hooves (1 buck a bottle for the cheap shiny stuff) instead of buying a 10 dollar bottle of hoof polish.

Hope some of these suggestions help.

haleylvsshammy 07-03-2010 12:46 AM

I don't know how old you are, but if you are under 18 you can always join 4-H. I LOVE 4-H, the shows are extremely educational, fun, and affordable. Where I am, and I believe it is this way for all 4-H, but I'm not sure, the entry fees per class are $5. 4-H shows are great because they help you learn and prepare yourself for bigger shows, as you can always feel free to talk to the judge about your preformance, and they don't break the bank.

Gidji 07-03-2010 01:15 AM

I'm going to come out point blank and say it, shows aren't expensive if you know what you're doing. Good quality second hand equipment is easy to find and is still usable. If you own your own trailer, thats another cost down. Investing in a trailer is good if you plan on doing long-term showing. I know you sound young, but honestly there are quite a lot of options that you probably haven't exhausted yet.

RadHenry09 07-03-2010 01:20 AM

I agree with that ,In 4H the fees at least here are really not that bad ....round up held at our fairgrounds is covered by the fair commitee for the 4Hers which is awesome. Also , my daughters club held a charity fun show and the cost was only $2.00 a class and it was for a great cause! The district classes are a little more at $7/class
My daughter just showed in an open show where the judge gave her great advice on her Eq.

A knack for horses 07-03-2010 02:30 AM

You can try and find a small show club in your area. Here, we have the Boots and Spurs club. They mostly do pleasure classes. But if you are a member, you get to know when all the shows are. The entry fees are cheap, since the clubs usually aren't that big and it doesn't take much to keep them running. And you could possibly find someone to hitch a ride with to the show, so you don't have to rent a trailer.

Also bring your own lunch. I know it doesn't sound the best, but really, you could get a way better lunch for cheaper than at the show if you pack it the night before and keep it in a cooler. That right there could save you around $4-$10.

Deerly 07-03-2010 02:46 AM

Totally second what everyone here is saying. Local shows, 4H shows, play dates can all be a lot of fun and give you really valuable experience for no more than $5 a class!

I wish I had my parents paying for my horsey addiction but I have to settle for working overtime to pay for extras XD

anrz 07-03-2010 10:33 AM

l agree with everyone else, buy used show clothing instead of new, it'll save you tons! My trainer is crazy generous and lent my her "old" show coat for the entire summer so l won't have to buy one yet. Try to find someone who is willing to lend you their trailer for the day so you don't have to rent one, and try to find work around your barn. My stable has a point system where you do work and in return for so many work hours you get free rides or show classes at the shows at our barn.
You sound like you're around the same age as me, and l made a deal this summer that l pay for half the cost of the shows and whenever l need something horse-related l buy it myself. lt's not easy and it means that l rarely have money to spend on shopping trips or other things l want, but it's definitely worth it in the end!
Make sure your parents know that you're really dedicated and that this is something that you really want to do and continue to do, and that it's not just some passing hobby. There would be no way my parents would shell out that kind of money if they didn't know that l was truly dedicated.
There are plenty of ways to lower the cost of showing, but keep in mind that there's no denying that shows are going to be expensive.